electric floor heat and vinyl tiles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enjoylife

Has anyone put vinyl tiles over electric floor heat panels?I noticed there has been some discussion  on tile verses other floor coverings.In my case case I think the best way to go is luxury vinyl tile partially because of grant petruzzelli,s  ( route 66 rv) comment on a previous query. I would like to put Down a nuheat electric floor system or something similar.The question I face what preparations are involved and how should the heating blankets be covered prior to putting Down vinyl tiles so that the normal flexing and racking of the frame even though minimal will not loosen any flooring?I have a 1995 allegrobay diesel pusher and would like to pull out the existing carpet and replace it and at the same time enjoy the benefit of floor heat.I can,t use ceramic tile because of the weight factor ? Any comments that could help that might help would be appreciated , thanks stu and sharon   

Sounds like a fun project and you have sure picked some nice materials for it.  I think you'll find that weight is a common concern when retrofitting with ceramic tile.  It's kind of a case by case call I think depending on how much headroom you have with your GVWR in travel mode.  I've heard the figure of 800lbs kicked around but have no idea how accurate that is.  Another issue with ceramic is cracking.  Here too some have a problem and some don't but the luxury vinyl is really becoming popular and looks great.

With vinyl the electric blankets might present a challenge in that I guess it might show irregularities at the edges, etc but we'll see what others who've used it have to say.

Good luck and take lots of pictures!

Rick

Back
Top Bottom