How may one see the side of the motorhome below the side mirrors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AA4WP

I have this problem when I pull into our driveway.  There is a wall about two feet high on the left of our driveway.  I pull in from the right side of the driveway. I fear that some day I will run into the wall on the left as I swing in.  I have looked for a mirror that can be attached to the Velvac mirrors without success.  I would like to see the sides of the RV on the front corner as I  pull in (or out) of a tight place.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Wendell 

try to install a mirror several feet past the point of the wall in which you are concerned with. Adjust so you can along the wall. Hope this helps

tf:

do you mean to mount the mirror on the driveway wall, or mount the mirror on the motorhome?

I would prefer the motorhome as I will be pulling into parking spaces other than the driveway.

Wendell

Does your main mirror have a remote control? If so, tilt it down as you make that turn. If not, you have to decide which area of view has the greatest priority.

You could also add side view cameras, but they don't come cheap. But then, neither do the bay doors on the side of the coach!

Here are a couple:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-mirrors/side-camera-in-color-a-bw-92-5279.htm
http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Rear-View-Safety-RVS-770616-Rear-View-Camera-System-with-Side-Cameras-LCD-Monitor-with-Mirror-Image-Capability-Two-Side-Cameras-with-120-Degree-Viewing-Angle-Trailer-Camper-RV_p_1693.html

Your post implies that you are wishing to see the FRONT corners of the coach as you pull in.... tfconlon's idea would work well - mounted on the far point of the wall...

If you are trying to get a view of the middle/rear side of the coach, you could stick a rectangular "convex" mirror on the bottom.... gives distorted view but works very well ... My mirrors came with large convex panel mounted below the regular ones - they are great for seeing the cars in the traditional "blind spot", and for seeing the side of the coach at any time .. and seeing where the tires are actually traveling in relationship to the road or paint stripes.....
These same convex mirrors could maybe be mounted to give a better view of the area closer to your front bumper but that would depend more on where you are positioned than anything else ?

I goggled convex and concave mirrors find several large convex mirror - including some in shape of 1/4 of a ball shape... one of the flat surfaces of the wedge can be mounted on a wall that in essence lets one see arround a corner... Wondering if one about the size of 1/4 of a tennis ball could be found... that could be stuck on the lower inside corner of your regular mirror ? - would let you see all of the lower area of the coach from normal sitting position?

I also googled convex mirrors and did not find any the shape of a ball (1/4).  So far have not found anything that I could figure out how to mount.

So far I have only dinged the left front corner of the rig on a "protective" feature made of railroad  ties in a camp ground in Sonora Caverns in Texas.  The damage was not massive; only a little mis-alignment of the bay in the front left corner of the RV.  Sure surprised me though.  So far I have not hit the concrete block retaining wall in our home driveway.

My main strategy so far has been that of the burros at the Grand Canyon...shut my eyes and hope for the best.

Would you please provide me with the link of the 1/4 ball mirror you found?  Thanks.

Wendell

What I had mentioned was that I had found several large 1/4 convex mirrors and maybe a smaller one like the size of a tennis ball could be found that would work...
I did look at thousands from different places but closest to that theory that I've found so far are at....

http://www.autobarn.net/conwedhot.html

I've always just added the 3" round convex ones to the bottom of my mirrors but they don't give the full view of the front bumper area... I've not had that need as of yet....
It does look however that depending where your current mirrors are mounted on your coach, these could be mounted to at least give view downward and 2-3 feet in front of the point of mounting.. ?
Hope this might be an option for you ?

Depending on how serious you want to get on this ... here's some options .. this is apparently their business... they have some that would appear to work, the brackets to hold them.. one interestingly looks like it would mount over the drivers door .. ?...
Stick ons seem a lot easier....

http://www.grote.com/prodcat/M.html
If one or more of these don't work... it may be easier and cheaper to move your wall.

Well, the wall cannot be moved, or the neighbor's yard will spill onto our driveway. 

I have seen pictures of the local school buses and they seem to have a mirror with a shallow conical design; they would require a mounting bracket to complete the desecration of the motorhome (look ugly); but the upside is that they would allow a view of the hidden side of the RV under the driver's side mirror.

I just had a thought... if I could find such a thing.  A prismatic mirror stuck to the window at a low point just above the dash, mounted outside.  I'll try to fashion or find such a thing.

Perhaps we could patent that idea???

Wendell

Why not mount a pole marker with a reflector on the wall that will stick up high enough for you to view in your mirror? If you make it tall enough you will be able to see it from the side window when you lose sight in the side view mirror. I had a similar problem with a sharp drop off on the edge my drive way. I have to start my turn early and did not want to fall off the drive so I put a marker there. I can extend it up when I get ready to back down the drive then go back and lower it down when finished. I got them from of all places Big lots. When I replaced the mirrors I found I don't really use the markers as much any more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom