Hydro-Flame Furnace Ignitor board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacko

On the New Years outing, the furnace decided not to work anymore.  The fan would come on, but not FLAME or HEAT.  Thank goodness for the small electric heater, it got down to 21 degrees.  My camping buddies say it is the ignitor board, but I'm darned if I can find it.  Got a Class C Gulfstream, and I did open the outer door and look at all the colorful wires and switches in there, but no PCB that I could see.  Any idea from the Forum? 

Chilly in Nebraska

Jacko said:
On the New Years outing, the furnace decided not to work anymore.  The fan would come on, but not FLAME or HEAT.  Thank goodness for the small electric heater, it got down to 21 degrees.  My camping buddies say it is the ignitor board, but I'm darned if I can find it.  Got a Class C Gulfstream, and I did open the outer door and look at all the colorful wires and switches in there, but no PCB that I could see.  Any idea from the Forum? 

Chilly in Nebraska

Folllow the colorful wires. Some of them will lead to a connector that should be attached to the PC board. Sometimes the board is attached via a wingnut to the top or side of the case. Another problem could be your gas valve not operating or the sail switch is defective.

Before you replace the expensive igniter board, check the sail switch. The "sail" is a paddle board that sits in front of the fan and its purpose is to close a switch when the fan blows a sufficient amount of air to prevent the furnace from overheating. If the sail doesn't move (corrosion on the shaft) or the sail switch is defective, the igniter board thinks the fan isn't running and will refuse to light the flame to provide heat.  Sail switches fail more often than igniter boards (and cost a lot less too).

If you find out it is truly the ignitor board, go here to select the correct one: http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Ignitor_boards.htm

They don't sell directly to the customer anymore, but thru distributors. Will cost around $100. The UIB (Universal Ignitor Board) is used for both water heaters and furnaces. You either leave a resistor connected for furnaces, or clip one lead of it for water heaters. The included instructions are easy to follow.

In addition to Jim's and Gary's excellent suggestions, check the outside air inlet to the furnace. Sometimes birds, insects, mice, leaves, etc. can restrict the air flow.

Back
Top Bottom