Need a physical address??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul1944

We are selling our house and going to be on the road for the next 2-3 years.  We now live in PA and need a physical address for our driver's license.  What physical address could I use if I have no permament place in PA.

Thanks

You will need to select a domicile for tax purposes, vehicle registration, voting, and other things.  Check our Library for articles on selecting a domicile for the full timer, which is what you will be.  An advantage of being full time is you can choose your state of domicile to your best advantage.

I use this service in South Dakota. http://mydakotaaddress.com  No state income tax, low vehicle registration, and simple resident requirements.  Terri that runs it is a real professional. Give them a look. 

Another vote for mydakotaaddress.com and for Terri. Besides, Madison SD is a nice little town. Nearby Lake Herman State Park is a good place to camp, too.

If your intent is to remain PA residents you are going to have to find someone (relative) who will allow you to use their PA address or rent or lease a lot.

As Ned recommended there are several articles in the library and there are other considerations besides drivers licenses that should be considered.

We use Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls SD as our mail forwarding service and use their street address for most purposes. When we started full timing we lived in NH and used the UPS Store in Concord as our mail forwarding service. We used their street address for most things but unlike SD , NH is not knowledgeable about full timers. I think we may have had to use my daughter's address for our drivers licenses.

One of the big advantages  of using SD as your legal domicile is that are full timer friendly and make it easy to be a resident of the state.
Alternative Resources has a lot of info on their web site. http://www.alternativeresources.net/

Here are some of the points shown on their site

" NO state income tax

?        NO state inheritance tax

?        NO personal property tax

?        NO intangible tax on investments

?        3% excise tax on purchase of vehicles, RV's.

?        LOW vehicle licensing fee.

?        Rank 47th in lowest private passenger car insurance rates."

Ditto the Escapees. We started in June and have had great success using their services, as well as becoming Escapees.

It's a great, friendly group and just in our short experience, including three of their parks, we have been overwhelmed with their warmth and friendliness.

I use the my local UPS store. It gives me a real street address and they forward where ever I am located billed to my credit card.

Most states require you have a house somewhere (Mine is now my brother's house)

4 states, (NV, Tx, FL and I think SD) do not.  From what I undrestand.  As Tom said.. Check the library file it has lots more info.

Here in WA state they need a physical address too.  When hubby went to get his license renewed they just put down the address of the RV park we were parked at at that time. 

New federal requirements (sometimes called "Real ID") have forced states into verifying names & addresses on driver licenses so as to make it a trustworthy means of identification. Even Florida now requires a real physical address and some proof (e.g. a water or electric utility bill) to prove it is really yours.

SD had used our mailbox address until this year. To meet the new Fed requirements they now require a signed affidavit certifying that we spent last night in a RV park to use its address.

After doing a lot of homework. I plugged into Terri at MyDakotaAddress and it's been a real pleasure.  SD is a great place to domiscile....only two thing to consider..... you can get snagged for jury duty when you're on the books there, and DON't pull a trailer lic. different that the truck.....just asking for trouble from the Highway Patrol and in Kal-ee-forina they are looking for that BIG time (use tax) since the state is in such a financial mess.  They even go around to RV storage places looking for out of state tags on RV's, AND (this kills me) they have a spot on CA DMV web site to rat off your neighbor if he/she has out of state tags on their RV.  Having said that, getting veh reg's titles are a snap if you have the title from your old state.  SD D/L's are quick too. Highly recommended if you're looking for a place for a prem. residence. 

If one was to go full time and decided to use S.D as thier residence and they had a drivers license from another state would they have to have a S.D drivers liscense? if so, would they have to get the liscense immediatly or wait untill their current liscense expired?

If you're going to domicile in South Dakota, then get a SD drivers license.  You don't have to wait for your current one to expire, SD will take it when they issue the new license.  To establish a domicile, you should do everything possible to link yourself to that state.

To establish a domicile, you should do everything possible to link yourself to that state.

More importantly, you need to sever your links with the previous state or they may attempt to continue taxing you as a resident. Domicile is a nebulous concept rather than a black & white thing and just because one state grants some legal recognition to you by issuing a license or allowing you to vote does not automatically mean that a former state of residence will keep their legal paws of you.  You want to stack the deck in your behalf by making as many  links as possible, both legal and community, to the new state and eliminating them from the old.

We are thinking about fulltiming it. We would have to sell our stick house and with the housing being in a down market at this time, and other considerations, we feel that we are maby 2 years away from going full time. Michigan does have a few advantages in that pensions, social security and 401's for retirees are not subject to state tax. Vehicle registrations are probably somewhere in the middle with regards to other states.Michigan does not  have a personal property tax. I think these are some items that would make think that keeping Michigan as our base advantageous, but it always pays to do research and do it well before the decision time came. There are probably other items to consider and I would welcome to hear about other considerations form others who have knowledge of the subject.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom