Considering an RV vs. being tied down, need some info...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarlboroKlingon

Greetings.

I've never owned an RV, but used to know some friends way back when that did. Compared to living in an apartment day in and day out, the idea of being able to take my home with me as I travel the country is as appealling to me now as it was then. The only problem is... I haven't the slightest idea about where to start!? ;)

I'm a single guy, so my requirements are basic.

• A bedroom with a 2 person bed, storage for clothes, etc..
  • A bathroom with a shower stall, sink for shaving, and obviously, a toilet
  • A cooking area for basic bachelor meals along with some kind of cold food storage
  • Living space so that I can set up my laptop to watch DVD's, go online, or listen to music, read, etc...
  • A sensible amount of storage space - Nothing massive

I'd prefer for reasons of fuel economy that it be based on a diesel engine.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head - What meets those requirements, and about how much of a financial hit would I be looking at for it?

Thanks.......

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure from your message if you've decided you want a motorhome, since you mentioned a diesel engine. Check out our illustrated file of RV types to give you an idea of the range of RV types available, then come back here to clarify your question. I'm sure you'll get plenty of help and advice from our members.

Thanks

I've never owned an RV, but used to know some friends way back when that did. Compared to living in an apartment day in and day out, the idea of being able to take my home with me as I travel the country is as appealling to me now as it was then. The only problem is... I haven't the slightest idea about where to start! 

Welcome to the RV Forum.  You have come to the right place to get information taht will help you learn and make decisions regarding what you want in and RV.  I would recommend visiting some RV dealers and if possible an RV show just to see what might fit your needs and what fits your fancy. Decide if you want to buy new or used.  As you look around and even before come back here and as questions that might come to mind.  Hopfully we will be able to help you in this new lifestyle.  Please fell free to enter any of the discussions or even start a discussion.

MarlboroKlingon said:
Greetings.

I've never owned an RV, but used to know some friends way back when that did. Compared to living in an apartment day in and day out, the idea of being able to take my home with me as I travel the country is as appealling to me now as it was then. The only problem is... I haven't the slightest idea about where to start!? ;)

OK, you are talking about living your life in the RV, that is what we call full timing.  That immediately moves you up into that category of RV -- one built for full time use.  Vacation RV are built lighter and cheaper.

There are two general categories:  towed (trailers) and self propelled (motor homes).    With trailers, your transportation is separated from your living quarters.  You can unhitch and drive the tow vehicle around without breaking camp and breaking camp is a pain.    With motor homes you either tow a smallish transportation vehicle (called a toad or dingy), break camp to sightsee or shop, or rent a car at your location.  Most folks opt to tow a dingy.

Diesel is no problem, a lot of motor homes and tow vehicles come with diesel.    Options is a problem only from the aspect of there are all sorts of choices.  Even my little 23 foot vacation trailer has a throne, a shower, queen-sized bed, dinette, sofa (gaucho), galley with sink, microwave, refer, and stove.  In 23 feet storage is minimal but our application is vacations.  The bigger motor homes have basement storage -- think Greyhound bus.  Even some trailers come with basement storage, especially in the type referred to as 5th wheel.  At the top end of luxury motor home, I have seen dining room chandeliers, Jacuzzis, full king-sized beds and glassed in showers.

Price is literally what you want to pay.  For full timing, the range could be $30K to $500K or even a million for customized  land yachts.    My best recommendation is for you to travel to a nearby RV show this spring and browse all categories to get a feel for what you want and what you can afford. 

In judging what you can afford, remember an RV is a home and the interest on a RV loan is tax deductible just as is a first or second conventional home.  Furthermore, 10 year RV loans are easy to find.  Also remember that RVs must be maintained just like homes.  With a motor home, you will find yourself driving your home to the mechanic at regular intervals.  Also remember that unlike houses, RVs depreciate

A

My wife and I are in the process of starting "Life 3.0"? ?As soon as the house sells, we will begin living in our home on wheels. We found a ton of info on boards like this one. Go to the fulltimers and the newbies sections. RV.net has a good board as well. Do a Google search on fulltime RV and you'll get a lot of hits. E-mail me directly and I'll give you a couple of other suggestions.
Thanx,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom