How late can I wait to Winterize?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackT

We live in Rhode Island and are planning to spend the winter in the south in our MH.  Our reservations in Florida begin on December 1 but we plan to take the coach down earlier to avoid having to winterize it.  My question is how late can I wait without risking a freeze that will damage the coach.  Our tentative plan, as of now, is to take the coach south during the last week of October and put it in storage down there for the month of November.  I would appreciate any feedback from other snowbirds, particularly in New England.  How late do you wait to winterize?  Could I wait even later than the end of October without risk?  How cold and for how long does it have to get to freeze up the systems on a MH?  What are the most at risk components?  All advice is much appreciated as this is our first year with the MH.

The SA answer would be ..
In northern WI, water freezes at 32 degrees F..

In the case of my MH, it's OK to slightly below - OK to 20's if in use with warm interior, and I've have run 110V to both compartments so if I'm on shore power or have generator running, i have a small 200W heater in the water pump/valve compartment and a light bulb in the fill and dump compartment so I'm OK down to almost 0.........
I would winterize however if temps are going to be below freezing without these heat sources....
Last year I had dealer show me how to properly winterize it in late sept... Stored dry until Feb - drove to Nashville and filled there around freezing temps as we headed south..... used it in FL for two weeks, then winterized in late Feb in Effingham IL on way back north because the temps were around 30 at that point and even though I could have driven it and kept it warm enough for the balance of the trip, it was easier to winterize there at 30 degrees rather than leave it until I got home where it was 10 degrees .........
Guess I'm cautious...... if in doubt, the cost of being wrong is not worth it... and it really only costs $10 or so and a half hour to do it ....
It's very easy to winterize in the fall, drive dry until in route and fill in route.....

It all depends when we start seeing cold temperatures.  If it just dips below freezing for a short period at night, usually it won't be enough to go below freezing inside.  However, it does not take much for it to go a little bit colder than forecasted.  Last year, I believe it was mid November  by the time I winterized mine.  But the date is really irrelevant, it's how quick the cold gets here and that varies from season to season.

Best bet is to watch the long term forecast.  Various weather web sites usually give a 10 to 14 day long term forecast.  They are usually off when it comes to sunny or rainy, but they are usually close enough when it comes to temperature trends.  You can try to last as long as you can before winterizing, if you see the trend gets too low for comfort, winterize it.

For the past 3 years, I have not "winterized" our coach prior to leaving New Bruswick in November, which is further north than Rhode Island.  All I have done is drain all the tanks, and remove anything that would spoil if it freezes.  If there were to be a major freeze, I likely would have a problem, but since we leave the last week of November, it never gets below freezing for more than an overnight.
    Last year, we left here on "Black Friday", and took on water in our fresh water tank, we left Little Rock heading west to visit friends in New Mexico as the forecast was for good weather, guess what by the time we had driven the few hundred miles to NM, it started to snow, and the temps dropped dramatically.  It was too late to winterize again, and we spent 5 days in Taos with above freezing day time temps, but a couple of nights down to single digits F.  When we left we had frozen pipes, we crossed our fingers, and by the time we were in Albuquerque everything was working well again.
    So, you need to decide if you are prepared to take the chance, but if you are leaving in November, I wouldn't "winterize"  I'd only drain the water.

Ed

You can wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,till its too late!!!  >>>D

Rhode Island isn't Utah, where it freezes earlier and later.  In the last 6 years the temps did not go down to freezing in October.  I don't get your point telling him that it will be too late?

Ed

You can blow the lines with a compressor, that way no anti-freeze to flush and should give you enough protection.  The PEX piping will not burst even if it freezes, a friend of mine used to work for Upunor and they expanded the pipes to twice the diameter without bursting.  The faucets, valves and fittings cannot take that kind of abuse though.

When we have a defined leave date, I decide if I want to winterize or maintain heat in the MH.  When we are leaving before Thanksgiving like this year, I will heat the MH and continue to modify it, load it early and generally just stay in the ready to go mode.  When we come back in early December, I will winterize it since we will not use it again till March.  If I can get an indoor storage for a reasonable price, I would not winterize.  This is not likely as current best offer is $350/month plus gas and electricity, water is from a well so is included in the electricity bill.

I usually just blow out the system and remove the filters when I do winterize.

Dan, that's why I take all of the water out of the coach.  The other stuff won't damage anything if it does freeze, and many in the forum only winterize, like Jim says, by blowing the lines with air.  Last year, as with most years, the ocean keeps us fairly moderate, and we can use the coach well into November.

Ed

BernieD said:
Jim
Does this mean we're going to miss you again at QZ :'( :'(

Yep, SWMBO has dictated a spring trip  to see the new Great grand babies.  Need to spend some time here getting things done.  We just finished the redo, $$$$, on the kitchen and want to do carpeting this winter, more $$$$.  Can't do everything.

Also Pat's eye problem is such that we want to be around in case the cataract surgeries do not resolve the pressure problems.  Seems the Drs are winning as you already know!!

This will be the third miss since we were there in 1995, '96 - cancer treatments, '08 - Foot surgery, and now - timing/medical!    :'(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macamiguin
Back
Top Bottom