Kohler Confidant 5 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unclebuck123

My Kohler starts but shuts down within a few minutes or seconds.  The shop can not figure it out. They tell me no manual is available and they have tried replacing the following:

Ignition coil
Carburetor
Both circuit boards
voltage regulator.

They used a test light and feel the oil sensor is fine. Any ides? 

Craig

Pull the wires off of the oil sensor.  If it doesn't shut down with the oil sensor disconnected you've found the problem.

You might have too much oil, which causes foaming, or too little oil, which starves the oil pump.  Either will cause a drop in oil pressure and make the engine shut down.

Or you oil pressure sender might just be defective.

replacing the following:

Ignition coil
Carburetor
Both circuit boards
voltage regulator.

I would find a new shop! They can't tell if its electrical or fuel, so they just start replacing expensive parts at you're expense?

You need spark, gas , compression and air to get a engine to run, if control circuits are shutting down engine you will loose spark, test by putting a timing light on a plug wire and start engine if timing light stops flashing as engine shuts down you have lost ignition, if still flashing you have lost gas or compression, compresion is possible to loose if you have a sticky valve but is more likley to be fuel problem.

If isolated to ignition I would  do my best to bypass all interlocks (oil level, pressure, over temp)  good chance they are one loop and any open in  loop will shut down spark.

If gas is suspected  I would disconnect electric gas pump if so equipped ( electric wire), remove existing gas line and line fitting from carburetor (typically metal line) then I would add a barbed fuel line fitting to carburetor and install a rubber fuel line to fitting , supply gas to new line  from separate source.

Good luck.

Mine did exactly the same thing. A tune-up was no help. Finally removed the fuel shut-off needle in the shut-off valve. Apparently it was sticking. No problems since. This is on top of the carb. and shuts off the fuel during shut-down to prevent dieseling. It was about a five minute fix. The valve is a solenoid held on by a clip under the high speed jet needle. Remove the HS needle and clip, remove the guts of the valve (a pin and "O" ring). replace the valve body and HS needle. If you have dieseling during shut-down, replace the fuel shut-off valve with a new one. Mine, so far, is fine without it.

I should point out that mine is a 1985 gen set and newer ones could be different. I would still suspect the shut-off valve if your set has one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom