Eyeglasses in Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Jim. I sure like the price. My regular glasses cost $650 and my polaroids cost something like $750. Sounds like you were happier with Algodones Optical. Did you meed an appointment for the test?

Jim Dick said:
My eyes are very sensitive to light

Same here Jim. They called it photophobia. I used to have problems with fluorescent lights in stores until I started wearing photochromatic lenses roughly 35 years ago. At that time they were available only with glass (read heavy) lenses. I procrastinated over the switch to plastic lenses for many years because, even when they were available in plastic, they still didn't darken as much as glass. The technology got better and I switched to plastic but, like you, I still have to keep prescription sunglasses with me.

Many moons ago I tried contact lenses, but having to wear sunglasses defeated the object.

Smoky said:
Thanks Ron!  I am hopeful that the technology on those glasses has improved since the 70s, when I last tried them.  Most people I talk to indicate the technology is much improved.

Smoky

Completely different. 30 years ago they were glass, now plastic. They are much lighter, get darker, change colors faster.

Tom said:
Thanks Jim. I sure like the price. My regular glasses cost $650 and my polaroids cost something like $750. Sounds like you were happier with Algodones Optical. Did you meed an appointment for the test?

Tom,

No appointment was needed. It was before the seige of all the snowbirds. :) I would get there around 8:00am Arizona time to get in early. Polarized lenses would cost about $75 more if I remember correctly.

Tom said:
Same here Jim. They called it photophobia. I used to have problems with fluorescent lights in stores until I started wearing photochromatic lenses roughly 35 years ago. At that time they were available only with glass (read heavy) lenses. I procrastinated over the switch to plastic lenses for many years because, even when they were available in plastic, they still didn't darken as much as glass. The technology got better and I switched to plastic but, like you, I still have to keep prescription sunglasses with me.

Many moons ago I tried contact lenses, but having to wear sunglasses defeated the object.

Tom,

They now have a thinner glass available. Terry Brewer has those but I stayed with the plastic. Not sure if they are available in photogrey.

Thanks for the warning Jim. I'll be sure to get up early that day  ;D

Smoky said:
Also anyone know anything about those eyeglasses that darken in sunlight and lighten inside?? Are they worth looking into?? How much would they cost as bifocals?
Smoky,

I did not like my photogrey? glasses.? I should have been warned that the UV protection built into car windshields keeps those glasses from going as dark as you may like.? Each special aspect of glasses will add cost.? Terry got? titanium frames, extra thin glass, progressive? lenses? darkening photgrey and it was about $200.? It would have been a better bargain with cheaper frames.? Vendor prices differ.? To an extent you can negotiate.? When I bought 2 pair of glasses I got a break.? Progressive lenses usually take more than one day to? complete so you may have to plan a return trip.? I shopped at Algodones Optical.? They do mail glasses to you too.
Betty

Dumb question time ....

Do any of these optical or dental providers take credit cards or travellers checks? If cash, do they prefer pesos or $US?

Some will take checks, but most are cash only.  Not sure about travellers checks, but I haven't seen anyone that takes credit cards.

OK thanks Ned. It helps to know that in advance. BTW is that pesos or $US or both?

Tom said:
Do any of these optical or dental providers take credit cards or travellers checks? If cash, do they prefer pesos or $US?

Tom,
Each time the preference was personal check. Credit cards were not accepted.  All vendors in Algodones operate with US dollars.  I had pesos left over from our Mexican caravan trip and could not find a place who would accept them. So now I have a few souvenirs.
Betty

OK sounds like photogray will not work, as I want to use them while driving.  Maybe Bernie can point me to some form of photogray that works behind the windshield?

Smoky said:
OK sounds like photogray will not work, as I want to use them while driving.? Maybe Bernie can point me to some form of photogray that works behind the windshield?

I have used the photogray lenses since I first started wearing glasses in the 80/s and have had very satisfactory results.  You just need to make sure to get the right kind.  Now I can't tell you the brand but I have just told the glass shop what I want and what I expected from them.  Has worked very well for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom