Headlight keeps burning out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceemike

I've replaced the LF headlight bulb in my 2004 Honda CRV about 5 or 6 times to once for the RF headlight.  I bought the car new almost 6 years ago.  The headlights use the 9003 Halogen bulbs.  I buy either Sylvania or GE bulbs.  I don't touch the glass with my fingers when I replace the bulb (I heard that the oils from your skin can shorten the life of Halogen bulbs.)  I see no signs of moisture in the headlamp housing.  I have no other bulbs that require frequent replacement.  My car doesn't have daytime running lights but I do drive with my headlights on day or night.  I know that means more frequent replacements but I would think the bulbs should burn out at about the same rate.  I've started buying the bulbs in two-packs & carry spares with me.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?  ???

Is there anyway there could be vibration on the left side light, a loose mount, weak spring, etc.  Runnng DC through a bulb results in weakening the filament and makes t very susceptable to vibration.  NASA paid a lot of money for me to learn this!  :) 

Jim Godward said:
Is there anyway there could be vibration on the left side light, a loose mount, weak spring, etc.  Runnng DC through a bulb results in weakening the filament and makes t very susceptable to vibration.  NASA paid a lot of money for me to learn this!  :)

Jim, I never had the benefit of any NASA training, but if Al Gore's internet hadn't gone down in the middle of my response, I might have beaten you to the "vibration" theory. ;) :D ;D ;D  If you've ever dropped a lit trouble light on the garage floor (when it has your last spare bulb in it) you know how susceptible a hot filament is to vibration.

Good point, Lou...
I've had that happen many times. Now I use a nice big candle and hope that the wind doesn't blow too hard.

Try one of these new PC correct bulbs, corkscrew lamps. I had  two in my home a while ago. The first one quit working in a week; the other one lasted 1 month.  Such a bargain.

Do wax candles cause pollution?  As if I cared....

I'll bet the production to build the new screwy lamps  uses more energy than building an old Edison(?)  lamp bulb.

One base, piece of glass  and a filament vs a transformer, special gas, glass forming machinery. 

Pros and cons, ?  Sometimes I don't marvel at progress anymore.

Carson FL --just rambling-.  8)

Carson,

You punched a hot button with me but my wife is waiting to use the computer and it tends to be political even with the facts so I'll just say. you are on the right track.

aka Porky said:
Jim, I never had the benefit of any NASA training, but if Al Gore's internet hadn't gone down in the middle of my response, I might have beaten you to the "vibration" theory. ;) :D ;D ;D  If you've ever dropped a lit trouble light on the garage floor (when it has your last spare bulb in it) you know how susceptible a hot filament is to vibration.

Lou,

I thought that the danger from vibration was obvious from experiences like you mentioned but NASA didn't buy the logic so we spent a lot of money proving it statistically to satisfy the nay sayers there.  Made our point and they still wouldn't believe it.

Jim, I checked the LF for play that might let the bulb move around & compared it to the RF & I didn't see anything that would allow the bulb to vibrate.  Maybe what I need is one of those $1,000 (or $10,000) NASA Space Shuttle Heavy Duty headlight bulbs.  ;D  Since the Powers That Be want to shut the program down  :'( maybe they will have a spare laying around I can buy at the going out of business sale.  :)

Dan, I looked at the socket & wires going to the LF headlight & I didn't see any corrosion.  There isn't much exposed wiring to the headlight before it goes into the wiring loom.  I'm surprised  :eek: that the headlight wiring isn't a heavier gauge wire.  It seems like it's a lighter gauge wire than the old sealed beams used. 

Carson, some of the first CFLs I installed didn't have a very long life either.  Then when the CFLs die you can't just chuck them in the trash because of mercury.  Is that progress?  It's been better lately but to make them cost effective they've got to last a whole lot longer than the traditional incandescent.  Stay  8) in Fla.

Thanks for your replies.  I guess I'll just keep a spare in the tool box.

The 1st question is have you measured the voltage at the blades of both lamps? you may find that your system is running a little high, and the one that's NOT burning out had a drop from a failing ground. This happened on my daughters car. Cost me a lamp, and alternator/ regulator.

Just buy a nicer car with a betttttter ride (less vibration) and the lamp will last longer, people always miss the obvious fix!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom