Tail Light Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilfred aubrey

My drivers side tail light is giving me problems.  The tail light will come on but will not give me a turn signal light or a break light.  The passengers side light works fine.  I have replaced the bulb, checked the contacts in the socket.  I also pulled off the light to check the wires. I'm going to Maryland in 2 weeks and I don't want to get pulled over.  Not a lot of fun when you have bunch of guns, plenty of ammo and the officer has never heard of cowboy action shooting.

I had a Ford pickup in the shop the other day with the same problem . It ended up being a dirty 4 way hazard switch.Try turning the 4 ways on and off a few times.

I presume this tail-light issue is on the camper, not the truck?  Also, how old is the camper?  I had problems with all my camper clearance, tail, turn and stop lights for years before I figured out how to solve it.  My camper is a 1985 Vacationeer.  When they made the camper, they installed all the light fixtures, and "daisy-chained" the grounds together, as well as the hot side.  What this means is that each light fixture has push-in connectors, with each one in the lineup depending on the connection reliability of the previous one.  What I did to solve it was to bypass the push-in type daisy-chain connection by soldering all the ground wires together and running ONE wire from the soldered joint to each light fixture.  I did the same on the + side.  What this does for you is eliminate the corrosion and other connection problems of the push-in connectors.  Now, after the repairs, I have very few problems.  If a light doesn't work, it's likely a burned bulb or a problem in that one fixture, not a problem somewhere else in the long chain of connections.

I had first thought that mice may have got to the wire's inside the camper, so I checked them all over.  After all that it was the cord running from the truck to the camper.  One of the connections had rotted out and another was ready to go.  replaced the plug and all is good now.  W.A.

I am having this same kinda of problem. Mine is a 1974 Monaco and they wired it the in the daisy-chain fasion too. All of my lights are just grounded through the exterior aluminum skin though. Without running a second wire for the ground to all the lights, does anyone know of a good way to make the skin have a better ground? I am also slowly working through and replacing the daisy chain setup as well. They just used standard butt connectors when they did mine.

Back
Top Bottom