74 Dodge chassis Sportsman/Jamboree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOOLIGANCLAN

Best or worst $500 I've spent this year.  So the kids talked me in to this beaute, but I am still unsure if I'm happy or not lol It ran, and was driven home..so that was a plus.  I should have taken pics first, but once I get tools in my hand I am destruction crazy.  So far I've coated the roof with two coats of elastomeric coating, replaced 2 vent covers (1 was a different style, that's for tomorrow), added 1 pipe vent cover, and completely ripped out all of the old water damage from the rear end.  There was some serious leaking for a long time and the wood was trashed!  I'm just using cheap furring strips and a 2x4, so nothing too fancy or EXPENSIVE going in to this project.  I have no idea about the working condition of anything else since I am focused on seeing if this can pass a PA inspection first, then I will consider cosmetic work.  The brakes barely work, so this weekend I will replace all fluid and check pads as well as an oil change.  I put some seafoam ( I live that stuff for engines!) in the crank breather along with the gas tank (could use more, either out of gas or the sending unit is stuck).  If anyone has a link to a service manual .pdf please send me a link!  :D This thing smells as bad as it looks, but once all this rat/mouse poison is gone I can hopefully pull out the rest of the remains (already grabbed a few live ones, much to the kids amusement) out and replace a few stinky things .aka the carpet.  I will TRY to get some pics, but I never think of it once I'm relaxing after work working on this.  :-[  As it sat this past weekend when we picked it up, taken from my cell:
1284396096.jpg

1284396085.jpg

FYI-Any questions or SUGGESTIONS would be GREATLY appreciated!!  Thank you everyone!!
Post script-I never imagined I would be moving from the tent section to the "electricity sites" this early ha ha .however, I don't know how to empty the poop tank yet.  :'(

check in the library section on this site good info on dumping tanks and so on. and then you could also watch robin williams in RV for some other tips :)

most of all have fun.

I have a a 74 dodge Sportsman/rockwood 22 footer. great fun. it had a lot of water damage. tore it down to the frame and started over. now the kids want to move up to a larger unit :)
we have that same disease that boaters get, 2footitise. (if I just had 2 more feet on this rig then it would be soo much better)

I've actually been watching National Lampoon's Christmas to see how Cousin Eddie worked his!  8) ha ha Thanks, I have been reading a lot in the library..there is a ton of great info for people like me in there!

I don't plan on dumping a lot of $$ in to this one, so simple fixes will have to work.  I've been working on sealing the roof and put new vent covers on, but I think I may need to add Eternabond (?) to the seams and the seams around the vents??

The interior in the back is gutted and I'm going to start putting some new wood and foam insulation back in..hopefully I can fix the roof sag and do a decent retro fit.  There are also about 8 clearance lights that I think need sanded to remove some gunk that will hopefully allow the bulbs to make contact again.  I realized just putting new bulbs in was NOT working  :-\

I have (whats left of it) a 78 Dodge class c, and found that the Chiltons van manual was a good source of info for the the Dodge part of it. the RV side for that old of a unit is a crap shoot for a manual. The good news is the manual for the appliances are available usually online at the manufacturers web site. I think I have most of mine.  One thing you will want to check out before you drive it for a long distance it the seal on the engine cover, You can get a real hot foot if it isn't sealling correctly. 

If you need any help on finding parts let me know, I may have something on the mine you can use. I'm going to strip the baby down and junk it by next summer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom