Visiting and buying an RV -- temporary tags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eamon

Hi everyone

I have just joined this forum today,and amazingly have had most queries and questions answered already!

There is one question I would like to ask:

Our intention is to buy a motorhome & tow vehicle then tour for 90 days and hopefully ship it back to the UK.

Could I drive this vehicle legally for that time on "temporary tags" through California,Nevada,Utah,New Mexico,Texas,Florida,Alabama,Tennessee,Virginia and finally New York state? without having to register it?

I have had an insurance quote and it sounds reasonable.

Kind regards

Eamon & Maureen Keeley    [Kidderminster England]

The whole problem is that temporary tags are, well, temporary. That means they expire between 7 to 30 days after they are issued. Different states have different laws. Considering your itinerary I would think you will have to register it. South Dakota would be the best place to register it and California would probably be the most expensive. If you don't buy it from a dealer then Nevada would be relatively cheap and on your itinerary.

eamon said:
Our intention is to buy a motorhome & tow vehicle then tour for 90 days and hopefully ship it back to the UK.
Dumb question?  What about left hand drive vs right hand drive? 

Left hand drive is not a problem in UK, as soon as you leave it every one drives on the wrong side :eek:

Loddy  Rv owner in UK

You will have to register the RV and get a regular license for it - temporary registration is for short-term use, like driving from a private seller to a repair shop for needed repairs, then to the Motor Vehicle Department for final registration, etc.

But getting a regular registration need not be all that expensive.  It will vary from one state to the next.  California is the worst - both the registration fees and sales tax (sometimes called use tax) are based on the purchase price, so they can be quite pricey on an expensive RV, not so bad on an inexpensive one.  Oregon and South Dakota do not assess sales tax, and their registration fees are reasonable.

But most states either require you to purchase the RV in their state or establish residency to register it there.  You can't purchase a RV in one state then register it in another unless you have residency in the second state.  The requirements vary - Oregon for example requires either proof of employment in their state or a monthly utility bill in your name to qualify.  South Dakota merely requires an overnight stay in a campground to provide a street address in their state.

Last year I bought a toad in Arizona but was in the process of establishing my domicile in Texas so we got a 90 day permit for $15.  Here's the applicable FAQ from their website:

27) I am not an Arizona resident, but I bought a car from an Arizona dealer. Is there a permit I can purchase to drive this unregistered vehicle to my home state?

You can purchase a 90 Day Nonresident Registration for $15.00 from an MVD or authorized Third Party office. You will be required to show your out-of-state identification and the dealer invoice or assigned title.

Good Luck...

Rick

Back
Top Bottom