TX cdl exempt license

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasdrifter

Downloaded form to get license to operate RV in excess 0f 26000 lbs. Called Austin and was told to get it notarized and take to DPS Drivers license office: no test, just pay for new license. Got to DL office and was told I have to take written and drivers test to obtain license. Does anybody out there know? Thanks.

In Texas, you need to pass written and road tests for the Class B license for vehicles over 26000 lbs.  What office in Austin did you talk to?

I called the DPS toll free Courtesy Line. Guess she wasn't very knowledgeable. I appreciate your information. I think anybody driving an RV with air brakes should be knowledgeable of the system.

Yep, what Ned said.  And the written test and prep material both hit on air brakes as well as things like proper placement of reflectors in case of a breakdown.  Driving test was a piece of cake.  I took it in Livingston.

texasdrifter said:
Downloaded form to get license to operate RV in excess 0f 26000 lbs. Called Austin and was told to get it notarized and take to DPS Drivers license office: no test, just pay for new license. Got to DL office and was told I have to take written and drivers test to obtain license. Does anybody out there know? Thanks.

When we went to our TX DPS office, three employees got into big discussion over whether any special license was required. They finally settled on we had to take a written test over one chapter & then a driving test in the motorhome to get a class B non CDL.

I forget what chapter it was, but such things as marker & tail lights, where flashers are set if break down on road, ETC.
I studied for it, but they never mentioned anything about air brakes. The officer that gave my driving test was retiring in 2 years & said I was his first for the RV.

I really think most people are believing what they have been told. (You don't need anything special to drive a motor home). My dealer & insurance man told me this. We just didn't want to be caught in an accident & not have the required.

Now I that I got the CDL manual I see that the Class B is required on vehicles with GVWR of 10,001 lbs. or greater. This rig has GVWR of 10000 lbs. I guess that makes me legal without Class B after all. I was going by what friends told me.

OK, this makes little sense to me.  According to the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook, Prologue section,  a recreational vehicle driven for personel use is exempt from requiring a CDL.  It does say certification form CDL-2 is required.  If I am reading the posts correctly turning in a CDL-2 means you had to take the test for the Class-B CDL.  What the heck does 'exempt' mean!  More importantly, am I illegally driving my RV.

The license required for an RV weighing more than 26,000 lbs is a "Class B non-CDL".  It is NOT a CDL, which is why the handbook says "a recreational vehicle driven for personal use is exempt from requiring a CDL."  The folks at Neal's TX DPS office figured out the right answer.  As others mentioned, the driving test doesn't amount to a whole lot ...just study the extra chapter for the written.

I think it is unfortunate that the RV licensing  protocol is not explicitly written out at the DPS website and in the CDL manual. Exempt implies not needed and shrouding requirements in ambiguity is not helpful. Of all the drivers on the road RVers are probably the most law abiding and follow rules and regulations meticulously. We carry our home, family and possessions with us and are careful to do all that is required and then some just to be safe.

texasdrifter said:
Now I that I got the CDL manual I see that the Class B is required on vehicles with GVWR of 10,001 lbs. or greater. This rig has GVWR of 10000 lbs. I guess that makes me legal without Class B after all. I was going by what friends told me.

Re-read the requirements.  I think you'll find that the 10,000 lbs reference refers to what your vehicle is TOWING and not the GVWR of your coach.  I believe that if your coach is over 26000 lbs you need the non-CDL Class A or B.  If you tow >10,000lbs you need the class A and <10,000 a class B will do.

Well, here it is, a YEAR later, and the State of Texas is NO CLOSER to being organized when it comes to a CDL-2 (exemption) license for driving an RV.  After getting off the phone with a DPS girl in the CMV department here in Austin, she said all I had to do was fill out a CD-2 Exemption Certification form, pay my 24 bucks, and it was a done deal.  So, I went into the Anderson Mill location of the Driver's License office and asked for my CD-2 form.  He handed it to me, and I said "now, as I understand it, all I do is fill this out and give you 24 bucks, and it's a done deal, right?"  He said, "Gee, I don't know.  Let me check on that."  He leaves his station; comes back about FIVE MINUTES later and says "it's not that simple; you also must take a written AND driver's skills test."  This JUST happend not more than TWO days ago, and this is September 26th, 2011   

Back
Top Bottom