EL Paso bypas???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shane:

Didn't see you at the course today.  You did not miss much, my golf score was terrible.  How can it be that I practiced all day at the range the day before, and then have my worst score?    :-\

Smoky said:
Shane:

Didn't see you at the course today.  You did not miss much, my golf score was terrible.  How can it be that I practiced all day at the range the day before, and then have my worst score?    :-\

Smoky,

I think we are given only so many chances to get something right. Practicing uses up a lot of them! ;D ;D

This is a step from El Paso, but together with our Son, we made some arrangements for getting the car repaired while looking for golf carts.  Refuse to by high $ for just 2 months and then have the grandkid tear it up before we return.  OOOOPs I return, Aud says says not coming back, gripes about everything.  After 51 years of marriage, things haven't changed a bit.  Not sure she likes herself let alone me. Wish I had known about the by-pass, I'd be 17 rental car days better off.  Perhaps this Thurs Smokey.

OK, some input from a local......

If you guys want to bypass El Paso without having to come over TransMountain road, there's an easier alternative.  Coming from the West on I-10 just before you get to Anthony , take the highway 404 (Ohara Road) exit going East toward Chapparal.  This cuts through the Anthony gap which, while hilly, is nowhere near as steep as Trans Mountain Road. 

Approximately 10 miles east, it comes to a T intersection.  Turn right (South) and you will enter Northeast El Paso in approximately 8 miles.  As you come into town, stay on the access road and don't enter the freeway. The 4th stoplight is Trans Mountain road (Marcus Uribe, Jon Cunningham, Sun Valley are the first 3).

Head East on TransMountain Road, just past Rushing street, stay in the left lane and enter loop 375.  This cuts through Ft. Bliss and into the East side of the city.  If you want to go to Carlsbad, exit Montana, turn left, and head East.  If you want to head east on I-10, Loop 375 intersects I-10 another 12 miles or so South.

Now....there is some road construction for a few miles on Loop 375 and it's down to one lane, but it's still easier than going through the city, especially during rush hour.

Happy traveling..  :D

Having lived in NE El Paso, I second all that Frizelfrak wrote. Two weekends ago we were in El Paso for a meeting and drove through most of the area he described.

We did find our favorite Mexican Restaurant, Victorias, which had moved from Hondo Pass 10 years ago and we found it over on Dyer and had a very good meal. We'll go back again. Same family has owned if for 17 years.

I used Anthony Gap before ther was eve an exit on I-10, one had to get off and on north of there, drive south and then turn east. It was always worth missing the traffic.

That said, the views from Trans Mt can't be topped and Bev and I especially loved sunsets and looking at the lights of a desert city sparkling in the dark.

Bob....what part of NE El Paso did you live in?  I live in Apollo Heights, the subdivision adjacent to the Patriot Freeway between Sun Valley and Kenworthy.

I can see why everyone would hate driving an RV through the city.....just toooo much traffic. 

El Paso is growing like a weed.  Yes, Victoria's moved sometime in the mid 1990's.  Food is still good, although our favorite Mexican food is Fortis on Chelsea.

I remember when there was no exit for Hwy 404 also.  You used to have to drive through Anthony to access the road.  The exit was put in some time in the early 90's

Cheers....

Somewhere close to Anthony ,someone is roasting peppers, its a smell you cant forget :p. I believe one of the Mexican food companies has a factory there.

I remember years ago passing through the area , it was either  Bob or Ziggy Marley that had a concert at the rest stop near Anthony,we stopped and had a grand time :D

Frizelfrak,

We lived in Milagro Hills, 1 block south ot Trans mt, in that corner house across from the grade school and park, 2 blocks west of the old walmart. Souks Korean was great back then and we saw that there still is a Korean restaurant in that location.

Bob....

Milagro is a very nice area.? We looked at a house on LaTaste before we bought this place.?

RobertandKiki said:
I took the bypass for the first time a couple of weeks ago and will surely use it from now on.....

While I've driven the bypass several times over the years, I just took it via Google Earth. It was very interesting especially using tilt to gain some perspective of terrain. I started at N 31 48.43', W106 15.92'

I just came through the By-Pass today West to East.  I admit to have taken the Trans-Mountain Road because I was already past 404.

Frankly, not again.  It took a full hour to come around the by-pass.  I can go through town in half the time and no traffic lights and construction.  On top of that, it is longer.  Those of you afraid of traffic can take the by-pass and I'll take on the traffic.

Ron from Big D said:
I just came through the By-Pass today West to East.  I admit to have taken the Trans-Mountain Road because I was already past 404.

Frankly, not again.  It took a full hour to come around the by-pass.  I can go through town in half the time and no traffic lights and construction.  On top of that, it is longer.  Those of you afraid of traffic can take the by-pass and I'll take on the traffic.

Ron,

It is true the bypass is longer. I hate the traffic in El Paso but have driven it many times. I just get in the center and close my eyes. ;D Actually it's Pat who really hates the traffic. I don't know why because she isn't driving. Oh yes, she still has her eyes open!! :)

I did enjoy the drive over the Trans Mountain as we had never been there before. I might try the alternate to the Trans Mountain next time. El Paso is much better now that most of the construction east of the city is completed. It was really bad for a couple of years.

Hi Ron:

>>  I can go through town in half the time and no traffic lights and construction.
====
I've told you "a million time" not to exaggerate. :) And if it takes longer, it delays having to dirive West Texas for awhile . . .

I too took the bypass West to East a few weeks back and tho it takes longer, it will be my preferred route. I'm not "afraid" of the traffic -- just find it a pain to deal with without a co pilot or GPS. If you are not in the correct lane, you could very well wind up in Montana or Brazil.

The only problem now -- and the reason it takes longer, is because the 375 loop is almost totally under construction and the traveler is driving the access road vs. the freeway. So that's why there are so many lights at the current time. Once that loop is done, I don't recall any lights other than the entrance to the loop.

If you had taken 404, you would have found a wide, 2 lane road with only one or two lights and wide shoulders all the way to the 54. There "was" construction at that point so you couldn't go under the 54, but had to take the acces road for about a mile or so.

When the freeway is done, it will take the traveler from the 10 to 404 non stop -- and that short stretch through town will probably be eliminated soon as well.

Ron, was it windy at all when you came through? That sea of sub division roofs on the 375 loop were lost in clouds of dust. Can't imagine buying a home in that location . . .

Good to see you again at QZ, Ron . . .

Bob:

It was clear and not particularly windy when I came through, so you could see the sea of houses.  Maybe when the by-pass is completed, I'll try it again, but truthfully, it is much faster through town.  I guess I'll have to time it the next trip through.

Hope you really enjoy the new rig.  If I get to Austin anytime soon, I'll contact you.  I know we will be headed for the Hill Country around the 15th of April, but you may have already departed.  Where are you staying in Austin?

Ron

Bob Buchanan said:
That sea of sub division roofs on the 375 loop were lost in clouds of dust. Can't imagine buying a home in that location . . .

Lots of us do.  Because the home I paid $107K for here would be $400K in the People's Republik of Kalifornia (I'm originally from the L.A. area, I've earned the right to slam Kali).  Actually, I'm in the Northeast foothill area of EP, so it's not quite as dusty as those out in the middle of the desert, like at the 375 & I-10 East junction.

Seriously, the wind blows, but duststorms aren't all that common.  A dozen days out of the year it's really bad.  Another couple dozen are annoying.  11 months are nice.  Then again, I like the heat.  I can't imagine living some place where you actually have to winterize your RV ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom