What is needed to tow a toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Backdraft161

I am a first time RV owner and have a 1987 Holiday Rambler Aluma lite XL with towing package. 33' unit. I do have the trailer hitch and wiring for pulling a trailer, that is all.

I would like to tow my 1998 Mercury Tracer, automatic transmission, all 4 down.

What is needed to tow and is it possible to tow an automatic transmission vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

Some automatic transmissions are towable without modifications, but your Tracer is not one of them. It would require a transmission lube pump such as the Remco LP1. Figure about $800-$1000 for that alone (price varies by the source).

You also need the vehicle base plates, which connect the tow bar to the car, a tow bar, and some kind of brake unit. Add it all up and it can get pretty expensive for the top end units. More economical packages such as the Ready Brake
with an integrated surge-type brake can keep the total down somewhat.

Thanks for the reply Gary. That is way more than I want to spend just to bring a car along. I would do better just towing an enclosed trailer and bringing my motorcycle along.

Thanks again!

That's one reason we tow our classic VW beetle (besides that it's cute) - all it takes is a tow bar ($100), magnetic tail lights (about $40) and an umbilical or wires.

Wendy

Be sure to check your CGVWR and get your coach weighed so you know how much wriggle room you've got.  Don't want any surprises.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom