RVing in Europe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hfx_Cdn

OK framily, can you help me answer a question posed by one of my stick house neighbours.  He was born in Croatia prior to emigrating to Canada several decades ago.  His son, daughter in law, grandson and h want to go to visit Europe next summer, and travel by way of a small RV.  He is concerned that if he rents one in Croatia he will be the target of vandalism when he crosses into Serbia, or vice versa if he rents in Serbia.
    His immediate thought is to rent in Germany and thus avoid those inter country concerns.
    My questions are, are those fears valid?, is there any problems renting in Germany and crossing into either Croatia or Serbia, or even are small RV's available for rent?  Any other things that could present a problem, or suggestions would be appreciated.  He really would like to show off his one year old grandson to various elderly family members in both countries.

Ed

Looks like you might have stumped the panel Ed. If you find an answer elsewhere, please post it here. TIA.

Ed, if I were you I would contact a German rental firm and put the question to them.  Google "rv rentals germany".  The clue may lie in whether they consider the area as a war zone currently.

They are in the process of tracking that down Carl, I was hoping some of our European framily might have personal knowledge.

Ed

Ed,

sorry for delay, I didn't find your post before today.

I'm living in Germany. At Monday I'll ask some of the greater rental firms about driving to Croatia or Serbia with their Mobiles.

I just had a look at the German Federal Foreign Office in the internet. I think, you have something like that in your country too. Look there; they have general warnings (if there are some) for the countries.

Thanks for jumping in Mike, much appreciated.

Thanks Mike, we are not in a hurry, they are planning their trip for next summer.  Although he didn't ask, do you know what the rules are for foreigners to drive there.  I know that when we went to Japan, I had to get an International License, which was merely paperwork that was done up through CAA (Canadian division of AAA).

Ed

Ed,
that's what I found about foreign DL in Germany:

1.Your driving license is valid for a temporary stay in the Federal Republic of Germany

If you possess a valid national or international driving license you may drive vehicles of those categories for which your licence was issued. Any conditions and restrictions placed on your driving licence also apply when driving in Germany.
Your driving license is valid even if you have not yet reached the German minimum age for the category concerned. Be sure to have your licence on you when driving.
For international driving licenses no translation is required.
You will need a translation to accompany your national driving license if
  • your national license was not issued by a member state of the EU or a member of the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) or
  • your license is in a language other than German or
  • your license does not comply with the Convention on Road Traffic of 8 November 1968 (Annex 6). Contact the relevant authorities in the country of issue to find out whether this is the case.

German language translations can be provided, among others, by German automobile clubs or internationally recognized automobile clubs of the country of issue, by official bodies of the country of issue, sworn interpreters and translators as well as by German diplomatic missions.
Holders of licenses from the following countries do not need to provide a translation:
  • Andorra,
  • Hong Kong,
  • Monaco,
  • New Zealand,
  • San Marino,
  • Switzerland and
  • Senegal.

Ed,

I called an affiliate of Hymer-Rent (www.hymer-rent.de/) near Frankfurt (Germany), "Freizeitmobile Rutenkolk" (www.rutenkolk.de/). They are just a few miles away from the airport Frankfurt/Main (www.frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airport/en.html).

They told me there is no problem to rent in Germany and to visit Croatia and Serbia.
The actual mobiles of Rutenkolk: http://www.rutenkolk.de/frontend/virtual_host/0000000281/pictures/filemanager/RukoRent_032010.pdf. They sell them now and will have new ones in January 2011.

Sorry, all in German. So if you have any questions, ask me  :)

Again, thanks Mike, this forum is and continues to be the greatest resource.  I know Ivan speaks and reads several languages, but didn't think to ask him about German, and mine is virtually non existent.  If we need held, we will sing out, as previously stated, thee is no real urgency as the trip is being planned for next summer.  His daughter in law is a teacher, so she won't have time off till then.

Ed

PS: Tom, and you doubted the ability of the forum to come through.  :eek: ;D

We had a large RV plated in France and drove to Serbia and Croatia among dozens of other countries and did not experience any problems

We drove our Winnebago View thru Croatia, Bosnia, Bulgaria and Romania in 2007.  We had Florida tags and a big USA sticker on the back.  We did not have any issues.  But one should remain prudent.  See our Blog at www.papilliontravels.net which has a lot of photos.

Tom in VB

Back
Top Bottom