Small portable 800w generator good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

89warrior20

I found a small 800 watt 2 stroke generator sold by Harbor frieght and noted the good reviews for it.

In my first campout in my old/new rv without a generator I found that it would be nice to have a back up just in case my house batteries (2) ran out.

Debating if I should get this or not.  Any thoughts or information is appreciated. 

Can I recharge my house batteries with this generator?  I know I cannot run my AC but I am ok with that I think ;)

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Regards,

Ron Pascual

Yes you could recharge your house batteries, but that's about it.  But that's all I use my generator for, so I can relate.

I don't have any experience with that one, but a friend got a similar one from Walmart.  Worked great in the heat, but could not start it when it was cold.  Whoever designed it forgot to put a choke on it.  He returned it for a full refund and now has a 2000W Honeywell from Costco.

That's basically a chainsaw engine connected to a generator.  Forget about quiet - at 91 db it's literally 1000 times louder than a Honda EU1000i  (58db vs 91 db).  Don't even think about taking it to a quiet campground. 

I have that generator from HF.....I can run everything but my A/C.....Including my coffee maker. Yes it is nosey!...I've never used it in a campground....It will recharge your battries.....

I decided to purchase one.  I figure I could use it in isolated locations  8)

Ran it today and everything went nicely.  It did sputter a bit and had a rattle but otherwise thought it was bearable.  We'll see how many people cheer in appreciation when I turn it off after running it at a campsite ;)

BTW, it does have a choke and I changed the spark plug for an autolite for smoother performance.  I read that I can silence the housing rattle will do that tomorrow.

How much is the Honeywell 2000 at Costco, anyone know?

Regards to all!

89warrior20 said:

Regards to all!

It was on sale last week of August for 500$ CDN in Canadian locations.  No clue if it was on sale in US or not.

89warrior20 said:
I decided to purchase one.  I figure I could use it in isolated locations  8)

Ran it today and everything went nicely.  It did sputter a bit and had a rattle but otherwise thought it was bearable.  We'll see how many people cheer in appreciation when I turn it off after running it at a campsite ;)

BTW, it does have a choke and I changed the spark plug for an autolite for smoother performance.  I read that I can silence the housing rattle will do that tomorrow.

Regards to all!

Those little generators are quite a deal (got mne for $89.95)....I like knowing it's in the storage shed in case I need it.....I once surround mine with a few 4' foldable tables to quieten it down a few db's.....If you find a way to quieten down some please post it! ;)
Happy camping!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom