Mexico auto/rv insurance for upcoming trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brujomar

SouthWest US or MX beach condo when not rv'in
DW and I will be joining a caravan down Baja and back for about 30 days in January/Feb. 2011. I have begun shopping for mexico insurance but am  a bit confused as to what coverages I am required to purchase. Dodge Ram pulling fifth wheel....
It seems that all I can find is full coverage(s) insurance while I am there and it is running around $700 for that short run....
Any experienced baja travelers out there that can guide me on what I must have, what might be nice to have or do I bite the bullet and spend that much for a month trip? 

I always use Sanborn Insurance (Google them).  They also carry a series of Mexican highway guides written by the owner.  These guides are excellent and cover the main roads in depth.

30 days Mexican collision insurance will cost a lot and it used to say that you MUST get your MH or car repaired in Mexico, not the US. 

A better solution, one we have done several times, is to pay for collision coverage for Mexico on your current US issued insurance policy and only buy 30 days or PL and PD coverage on the Mexican insurance.  It used to be that a 1 year PL PD Mexican policy was less then 10% more than a 30 day policy so ask them.  Do separate policies on your MH and car because the car could be in an accident while the MH is parked..

Back when we used to do this our US policy said that they would pay for repairs in Mexico so the vehicle could be driven out or towed out and then the repairs could be done in the US.

Imagine if you had to leave the MH in 500 miles down into Mexico for several months while they repaired it.  Furthermore, what if the repair was done badly...what recourse would you have and how much time would you want to spend flying back and forth.

This was a few years ago because we no longer go to Mexico!

JerryF

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom