Converter location in 1998 Adventurer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shajoe44

I have lost all DC power and was wondering if someone might know the location of the converter in a 1998 Adventurer. Was told to check the fuses.

Winnie likes to put them on the floor behind one of the kitchen drawers. you may want to pull a bottom drawer and look around.

Wizard is right if I dredge up memories from my past it is located either in the drawer under the fridge, or the drawer to the left.  On my '98 the wires had come loose and just need to be tightened.

Don Wit 70041

You can't fix stupid but you can vote them out!

I found it mounted on the floor under the galley below the stove. we replaced it with new one not to bad only @ 60.00 . I wished i still had it much less trouble then 05 meridian.

Found it thanks. I checked the two fuses and both were good. I have toggled the aux battery switch on dash back and forth and still no DC power. The batteries are good because the invertor works fine. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Can you give me a starting point for my probing. I guess I will start with the wires coming into the convertor?

Sure - verify you have 120 volts going in to the converter and 12 Volts coming out.  I don't know what yours looks like, so I don't have any idea of what kind of access you have to the wiring.  The objective is to meter as close to the converter as possible.  If you can remove a cover plate to get inside the converter and ID the input and output, all the better.  I don't know what your skills/experience are in terms of working around dangerous electricity, so be careful!

I'd also download the wiring diagrams from Winnebago's site.  That will show you what wires are what.  Also download the electrical guide as it tells you what the little wire codes are on the wiring diagrams.

I have 13.5 on the output side. It is located in an area where it is impossible to take the cover off and see what is what. Could the switch on the dash be bad maybe that switches the DC off and on?

After looking at the replies here, I think maybe my problem has been stated wrong. I have lights and such when the generator is running. I have no lights when the generator is off.  The batteries are fully charged because I can turn the add on inverter on and get lights. I have 13.5 volts reading on the left side wires of the converter.

Okay - I looked at your wiring diagram and I think you might have a problem with your battery disconnect relay.  This is the solenoid that is always operated unless you have your house disconnect switch 'operated' (you cut off power to the house.)  Find your solenoids (there are two of them) and then have a helper operate your disconnect switch while you listen/feel for the clicking of the relay.  When you hear/feel it, meter both sides (with AC power disconnected and the generator not running) with the solenoid/relay operated - you should read 12-13 volts on both sides of the terminal studs.

OK, do you have a general idea of where the solenoids might be located. I have the aux battery switch on the left side of the dash, this controls battery power to the house side of the rv. So when I toggle this switch back and forth the solenoids should be making a clicking sound if I understand what you are saying. The RV is up where i keep it for football games, I will be there this friday and check out what you have suggested. Thanks once again for all your help, if I can get this done myself and save some money that would be great, seeing how I just spent a ton on getting the exhaust manifolds replaced three weeks ago,

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1998/126140.pdf

third page shows the wiring of the relay box. The Chassis wiring installation document on the Winnebagoind.com site gives more location info. I think you should look around the driver-side front of the coach. I scanned them quickly so am not positive.

Back
Top Bottom