Squealing Atwood (Hydroflame) Furnace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richgroot

My Hydroflame 7916 furnace started squealing the other night, got louder and louder, but kept putting out hot air.  I turned it off since I couldn't sleep with all that racket, and I didn't want to risk any (more) damage to it.

I pulled it out this morning, which turned out to be pretty simple.  I pulled out the blower unit (motor with fan on both ends) and looked for wear points on the fans and housing that I would expect to see if either fan was contacting the housing.  Nothing evident.  I tried running the fan motor as fast as my drill would make it go (1000 RPM?) and no squealing noise.  I've wondered if the fans could have slipped on the blower shaft but the little hex screws on those puppies were locked down so tight that I could get only one of them off.  That fan fit so tightly on the blower shaft that I had to gently use a gear puller to get it off.  I have enough hammers that I should be able to get it back on.  ;)

So should I replace the blower motor on a bet (more than $125), replace the whole unit ($514), or does someone have some suggestions of what else I can try/check?  I've gotta have this thing in good shape in a few weeks for our Fall trip.

Thanks,
Rich

The motor spins faster than 1000rpm. Turn it on with the side panel off and you should be able to pinpoint the problem. The motor in my furnace had bearings that were totally gone. Wasn't cheap, but better than forking out for an entire new furnace.

I replaced the fan on one of our Hydroflame furnaces that did not fix the problem. Turns out the fan was rubbing on the birdcage until it got going fast enough to straighten out. The techie that put me on to the problem said that many times replacing the fan simply repositioned it properly. The clamps that hold the motor in place align the fan in the birdcage.

It is a pretty simple troubleshooting step before buying a new fan.

When the fan is not in the enclosure it does not have the resistance of the ducting; no load on the fan. When I change fan motors for blowers, I set them on my bench and block half of the fan, this simulates the load of the ductwork and the fan then runs at full speed. I would change the fan motor out. Sand the shaft ends and use WD-40, the fan will slide right off.
Good luck with it.

Utah Claim Jumper said the fan needs to be lubricated sometimes. Does this mean removing the fan and blower assembly or is there some method of lubing without all that hassle?

Many times if you can access the motor, you can spray a penetrant/lubricant like LPS-2, (not WD40) and it will "wick" into the bearing . Do both ends and spin it by hand before turning it on.>>>Dan

Back
Top Bottom