stripped out wood screws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1carguy

I've found several wood screws in the interior of my 6 year old TT that are stripped out. It's mostly where something is attached into thin (1/4" - 3/8") plywood. Sometimes it's not practical to just install a larger screw so I was hoping that someone has found a better solution. The old toothpick or match trick doesn't work on thin plywood.

There is an old woodworkers trick you might try.  Take several toothpicks , stick them in the hole and break off. then replace the screw.  Better yet dip the toothpicks in epoxy glue, let dry then replace the screw.

A get a small diameter piece of doweling - 1/8" is about right.  If the paneling is real thin, though, this technique does not work real well. Try a screw anchor instead, if you can find one designed for a shallow material. Ask for a "shallow wall anchor". I've also had some success with the screw-in type of drywall anchor.  If there is much stress on the screw, sometimes you have to resort to a toggle bolt instead of a screw.

http://homerepair.about.com/od/interiorhomerepair/ss/wall_fastening.htm

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=drywall+anchors&client=firefox-a&cid=12170456247053499193&ei=nPqUTOaYF4-IxgWtl4TeDQ&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_anchor

Drill a hole in the plywood, epoxy a dowel in the hole and let dry. Drill a small pilot hole in the dowel, insert your screw.
J

Just a thought...using toothpicks or glued in dowels still depends on 1/4" - 3/8 plywood to carry the load....no change but for a period of time.

I'll go with Gary's ideas for a long time fix. " Ask for a "shallow wall anchor". I've also had some success with the screw-in type of drywall anchor.  If there is much stress on the screw, sometimes you have to resort to a toggle bolt instead of a screw."

Carson

If you have 3/8" plywood to work with, the dowel or toothpick trick will work. Most RV paneling, however, is more like 3/16" or even 1/8".  Just to flimsy to get a grip on/in.

If there is much load, the toothpick or dowel won't hold well as all the wood grain fiber goes in the direction of the screw. Then as the screw goes in, it cuts the wood fiber.  It works better if the screw is going into wood across the grain fibers.  Hopefully, you can get a anchor to work.

Ah, thought I replied to this,, Now realize it was elsewhere

Molly bolt.. The device expands behind the wall in the hollow space.  If it comes out you will need to do a major re-build job cause though they may go in a hole say quarter inch, they come out like 1-2 inches around.

Thanks for the good tips. I just solved my most recent stripped hole for a Cable TV wall plate. I glued a small piece of 3/8 wood (about the size of a nickel and glued it behind the stripped hole. Let it dry, drilled a small pilot hole and it worked like new!

You can do a similar thing for almost any hole. Cut a slot, and slide a rectangle of plywood with glue thru the slot. If you attach a string to the rectangle thru a SMALL diameter pilot hole you can pull the rectangle against the inside of the hole and tie it off to hold it while the glue sets.

If your not hanging something real heavy you could use a toggle bolt, has wings that fold on insertion and expand out when on the backside. If you have a foam wall you could probably get them spread out, just have to make sure the bolt isn't longer than your wall is thick.

I've had these problems with darned near every one of my trailers.  I've come up with a solution that seems to work, not only for stripped out screws, but for mounting hangers, shelves and what ever to the plywood or paneling. 
I bought several lengths of expanding type anchors, the kind you put in a drilled hole, then run the bolt in until the legs expand against the back-side of the panel, remove the bolt and place it through what-ever you are securing.  They make very short ones that even work on hollow core doors as well as thin paneling.  If, by random chance there's a wooden brace where the hole is, I just oversize the screw and go from there.

johncmr

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom