Skirting issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

migreig

Hello everyone,

I've just skirted my 2006 HR Alumascape 36' completely with plywood. I am now finding that moisture is seeping in from the ground under the boards and am concerned about the potential for mold...how should I keep my underside dry?

Add ventilation, e.g. lovers in the skirting. Use a small fan if you need to.

You can't seal up the space under a building or RV in places where the ground is moist - you will quickly get mold and rot.

My understanding was that I should seal up the underside as airtight as possible to stop drafts and keep the heat in, would adding vents not defeat the purpose of skirting?

Is your skirting insulated?  If not your moisture might be coming from condensation.  Just guessing though.

It's not insulated, it's just straight 3/8 plywood butted against the ground and up under the trailer fairing. The material we're parked on is a very rough sand...like fill sand or a say 1/4 road base. The rain gets into the sand all around our trailer and seeps underneath, but once it's in, the material holds the moisture very well and I just need to know if venting is a long-term solution or if I need to move the trailer and come up with something else. Paving stones sound like a good idea. It would be much hassle to move at this point so I would like to avoid that. I can post pictures if that will help.

If it were me, I put some 6 mill black plastic sheathing underneath the trailer, including the boards of the skirt to keep the ground moisture down. I know it would be tough to put it under the wheels, just cut around them the best you can. Overlap any seams and tape them with painters tape. It is easily removable should you decide to move.

Vents do let in some air, but you need that. The vents aren't huge - just some louvers here and there. Even permanent homes without basements and mobile homes have a vented crawl space underneath. It will stay a lot warmer underneath the RV, even with modest venting.

Is your problem just that the plywood skirting wicks up moisture into the plywood? If so, why not  put a row of bricks or paver stones under the edge of the wood, to keep it out of the wetness? Or even some Pressure treated wood?

Spoonsize said:
If it were me, I put some 6 mill black plastic sheathing underneath the trailer, including the boards of the skirt to keep the ground moisture down. I know it would be tough to put it under the wheels, just cut around them the best you can. Overlap any seams and tape them with painters tape. It is easily removable should you decide to move.

Take that back....run the plastic up along the inside of the skirting and staple it in place to make the best seal you can.

Even with this, you may still have to run a dehumidifier which, by the way, will add heat to the crawl space.

So I'm hearing a couple different approaches here, full seal with dehumidifier or venting and airflow. I have opted for the latter. I have cut some vents into the corners or my skirting and will place some more (prob. 8 total) due to my trailer having 4 slides there's lots of nooks and crannies. I will let you all know how that helps. Naturally I won't run a dehumidifier as that would just dehumidify the whole neighbourhood with my vents. now I understand why some choose to only skirt with lattice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom