Water heater safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pondguy

We've used out TT about 6 times this year, and used the electric in our water heater since we haven't boondocked and have electricity. It worked fine in the spring when I tested everything. Last night we were doing some things in the trailer and I needed some hot water, turned on the propane ignition switch, waited to hear it fire up.

It didn't.

Opened the water heater door, had son reset the heater switch. Smelled gas, heard/saw the ignitor, no flame, second attempt, same, third attempt, the gas ignited on the main burner tube where the mixer vent is for the air/propane. Big random flame, went out quickly since the thermocouple never got heated up.

Took off the main burner tube. Plugged SOLID with a wasps nest AND spiders nest, so the gas never got all of the way through the tube. Cleaned it and all is well again.

Moral of the story, if it didn't light the first attempt, check it out before you try again! I don't know what would have happened if I just kept trying it with the heater door closed, gas building up, then igniting.

I do know it would not have been pleasant with the DW and two sons in the trailer at the time!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom