San Antonio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad

Hi.? Does anyone have any great campgrounds they've visited in San Antonio?? We'll be staying there for several days this spring.? Based on my research online and Woodall's directory, I've narrowed it down to 4:
Stone Creek
Alamo Fiesta
Admiralty
Blazing Star

Ideally I'd like a shaded campsite with some space, a place for the kids to fish and a heated pool.? Picky, I know.? None of these 4 seem to have all that.? Any ideas?

I really enjoy reading all the destination topics and ideas.? Thanks for the great forum!

Brad

Hi Brad, welcome

I can't help you with 1st hand input, we stayed at the Fort Sam Houston Famcamp.

RV Park Reviews is a great resource and there are a lot of reviews on San Antonio campgrounds.

http://rvparkreviews.com/Texas.html#San_Antonio

Brad said:
Hi.  Does anyone have any great campgrounds they've visited in San Antonio?  We'll be staying there for several days this spring.  Based on my research online and Woodall's directory, I've narrowed it down to 4:
Stone Creek
Alamo Fiesta
Admiralty
Blazing Star

Ideally I'd like a shaded campsite with some space, a place for the kids to fish and a heated pool.  Picky, I know.  None of these 4 seem to have all that.  Any ideas?

I really enjoy reading all the destination topics and ideas.  Thanks for the great forum!

Brad

Hi Brad,

We have stayed at the Admiralty, Blazing Star, and Traveler's World RV. Personally I would not go back to Blazing Star unless they have made major changes. The entry is extremely steep and I have seen coaches hit front and rear when entering and exiting. Not all coaches do that however. Their sites were finished but far from level. Everyone received a letter saying they knew they were not level and were working on it. Didn't see any work going on and the sites were all finished. Since they are paved I doubt they spent that kind of money to redo all of them. Perhaps someone else has been there since we were which was a few years ago.

The Admiralty is nice. Sites are paved and they have ammenities. They are about 1/2 hour from downtown San Antonio but close to Sea World and the amusement park. Sites seemed close together but OK.

Traveler's World RV is a typical campgound without much in the way of ammenities but friendly staff and very close to downtown SA. You can either take  the city bus or drive right to the Alamo/Riverwalk area to park. We chose to drive and it was very easy. Only one small jog on the way in and the rest was simple. You are also very close to the other four missions which are worth touring if you like history. They do have a pool but I don't remember if it was small or large. The park is very close to the San Antonio river. Not sure if fishing is allowed.

If you plan on spending time in downtown I would recommend Traveler's World. If your goal is to spend time at the campground, Sea World, and the amusement park then the Admiralty would be a better choice. Hope this helps.

Well, having lived in SA, I don't use the campgrounds there.  But I can tell you that Blazing Star right now is a mess.  Actually, getting into or out of it is.  With all the construction going on with Loop 1604 in that area, it is a major pain to get into/out of the place.  Especially at rush hour times.  They are close to finishing the road work there, but then it starts on the other lanes (they're widening it to a full 4 lane highway).  So it may not get any better for a while.

Ed,

Sounds like the Admiralty might be involved in that construction. Seems to me they are pretty close together.

Thanks everyone for the helpful information and for the rv park review website.  I'm now leaning towards Traveler's World.  The pool looks pretty good on their site.  I'll call and ask about fishing in the river.

Thanks again!

Brad

Jim, if the Admiralty is where I think it is, up off of Military, it's away from the construction.  But it would depend on how you go to get there.  Probably not near as bad as Blazing Star.

Ed,

It's up there somewhere. :) Once we found the Traveler's in downtown SA I decided the Admiralty was too far out of town. We like the downtown area over the theme parks. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom