RE: Engineering Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sydny

Because Travel Supreme has recently developed a diesel Mid-Engine placement, with a garage in the back bay, I'm concerned about the stress a mid-engine produces on the chassis, and the weight of the occupant (Mini Cooper - 2500#) in the garage.  Can anybody share some insight with me as to  the safety...or possibly the LACK of same.......with the weight in the back, and the engine in the middle?  Would appreciate any insight you might offer.
Thank you.

Sydny

TS came out with the ME about 3 years ago. It was first shown with a Mini-Cooper in the bay. It soon became apparant that the handling and weight distribution was too adversely affected by the car and the bay was reworked to prevent autos to be fitted back there. The bay is now usable only for motorcycles, ATVs, golf carts, etc.

I don't know why you should be concerned about chassis stress by the mid-engine design, it is easier to support than a rear engine hanging over the back of the chassis. It has been shown in autos (race cars) that the mid-engine improves handling and weight distribution over the chassis. IMHO, the main negative is restricted servicability access and loss of storage.

Thanks Bernie!  I had forgotten about race cars with mid engines, but I realize that the center of gravity for race cars is quite different than the height of a motor home.  I am disappointed that TS has changed the garage so a small MINI could not fit.  Actually, the weight and size of an ATM would be basically equivalent to a MINI, and I wonder if there is still a possibility of putting a car in there?  I really do not want to tow, and as a single woman driver, I had hoped the TS ME would be the answer to my dreams!  Are there any suggestions you might have to make it easier to bring a vehicle with me?

Thanks again for your assistance.

One thing TS could have done would have been to move the rear axle further back so the Mini would ride over the axle instea of behind it.

Sydny said:
but I realize that the center of gravity for race cars is quite different than the height of a motor home. 

True, but the structural integrity is equivalent and the handling improvement would be comparable.

I am disappointed that TS has changed the garage so a small MINI could not fit.  Actually, the weight and size of an ATM would be basically equivalent to a MINI, and I wonder if there is still a possibility of putting a car in there?

Actually, the Mini is fairly heavy, but size was a problem and the Mini was the only car that the prototype was set for. No other car would have fit, and the factory doesn't even want a Mini back there.

I really do not want to tow, and as a single woman driver, I had hoped the TS ME would be the answer to my dreams!  Are there any suggestions you might have to make it easier to bring a vehicle with me?

Actually, with the right car and/or setup, 4 down towing is fairly easy and one person can hookup or unhookup in just a couple of minutes. IMHO, 4 down is easier than putting a car in the back of the ME, faster and less work.

Ron said:
One thing TS could have done would have been to move the rear axle further back so the Mini would ride over the axle instea of behind it.

Ron

Actually, TS has little control over that since Spartan builds the chassis and it did have a fairly long wheel base as it was. The current ME is on a 42' chassis (up 2') and has a tag axle but the car would have had to sit in the bedroom to offset the tail weight.

Ron said:
Maybe TS should include a Smart Car like the Nathans have. ;D

TS does sell in Europe and may build the ME for the Smart Car on special orders to Europe. Right now, the Smart Car is not available in the US.

Karl said:
Bernie,

Looking at the T.S. website, the only two models that do not have a tag are the Envoy and the M.E. Are you pre-announcing something?

Well, it looks like they changed the ME again. It had a tag axle either last year or the year before. All of the TSs under 42' have a single drive axle, at 42' they go to a tag. The ME had been available in a 42' for a while. My 40' TS still comes with a single drive axle.

Back
Top Bottom