Goodyear Unisteel G670 vs G169

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmsboss1

My 2007 Fleetwood Excursion came with the G670s in size 275/70R22.5 mounted.  Recently, I needed replacement tire "right now" and, even though I was within 70 miles of San Francisco, there was not one available, and I tried several sources.

I finally allowed myself to be convinced to install a G169 instead.  It is installed on the inside rear passenger side position.

The only differences I can determine from the online specs on the Goodyear website is that the tread on the G169 is 3.5 32nds deeper (18 vs 14.5) and the OD is .1" (37.6" vs 37.7") greater.  All other specs, including max load (6940@125psi), width (10.4"), and load range (H) are identical.

Oh, yes, the G169 is about $150 less than the G670.

My question is, did I do a "bad" thing by not waiting for a G670 to be shipped in?

When the time comes to replace the other G670s, are they worth the extra bucks?

Goodyear info on the G670 is here: http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g670.html

Goodyear info on the G169 is here: http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g169rsa.html

Don

We've had both G670RV and G169 tires on our motorhome and, frankly, I don't see any difference in ride or wear.  I would be concerned about mixing the 2 tire sizes on the same axle, especially the same side.  The G169, being slightly larger in diameter, will wear faster and will run hotter.  If you're planning on changing the other tires, I would do it sooner rather than later or you might suffer a failure of that new tire.

The G670 is supposed to have more chemicals in it to prolong its life. That's in recognition of the fact that RV's seldom wear out a tire in less than 7 years. The G169 is an "over-the road" tire, designed for mileage, while the G670 is designed for years.  But all tires contain UV inhibitors and such, so how much actual difference there is remains to be seen.  Personally, I plan to save the bucks when I replace my G670's this winter. Will probably go with Bridgestone or Continental, but the G169 is in the running too.

Ned -  Thanks for your thoughts/warning.  I'm thinking that maybe if I put a lot more air in the G670 it would grow to the same OD as the the G169 and all would be well.... ::) ;D

Gary --  Thanks as well. I feel due for new rubber this winter and am leaning toward the G169s.  At just under 50,000 miles, the G670s may have a lot of wear left, but with the alignment and balancing problems I've had it is not evenly distributed.  I've done no homework at all so your thoughts on the Bridgestone or Continentals would be appreciated.

Don

I wouldn't sweat the 0.1" difference. Wouldn't want to see it any greater, though.

I haven't started shopping yet - probably December or January - but last year I talked to a local tire dealer and he suggested Bridgestones as an alternative to my G670's at a much lower price. I'm running 18" Bridgestones on my car and they have been fine, but that doesn't mean much. Continental has a line of tires for Rvs too - see http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/us/en/continental/transport/themes/people/rv/rv_en.html

Both Bridgestone & Continental are global corporations with a good history in truck tires. So are Toyo and Yokahoma, if there is a dealer in your area,  Toyo makes RV tires in their Atlanta plant, so you can sometimes get bargain prices on Toyos in the Atlanta area. Might be worth a drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom