4wd vs 2wd Honda CRV or Jeep Liberty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yolo

We are considering changing our tow'ed to a little larger CRV or Liberty from our smart car.  Both are available in 2 or 4 wheel drive. 4wd costs $1000 - 1500 more.  We NEVER plan to be in ice or snow.  We don't plan on rock climbing.  What reasons would make 4wd a better choice?

Bago,
At least for the Jeep, you need the transfer case to tow 4-down (any 4WD Jeep may be towed 4 down). I'd check on the CRV.
Ernie

You must have 4WD in the Liberty to tow 4-down without modification. The CRV is towable as-is in either 2WD or 4WD versions. In the same size and price class are the 2010 & later Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain, both towable in either 2WD or AWD versions. [Some 2009 and earlier Equinox were not towable - check beforehand if buying used]. The 2009 & later Ford Escape is also towable in either 2WD or AWD versions.

Gary [RV Roamer] said:
You must have 4WD in the Liberty to tow 4-down without modification. The CRV is towable as-is in either 2WD or 4WD versions. In the same size and price class are the 2010 & later Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain, both towable in either 2WD or AWD versions. [Some 2009 and earlier Equinox were not towable - check beforehand if buying used]. The 2009 & later Ford Escape is also towable in either 2WD or AWD versions.

I was talking with our local Ford dealer last night and he told me that they are having tranny trouble with the Escape when towed.  He said he has sold two that are towed and both have had the tranny replaced under warranty.  Both owners sold the vehicles and bought other toads.  He is telling his customers to hold off until the situation is more clear.  We had considered the Escape...  FWIW.

Bago said:
  We don't plan on rock climbing.  What reasons would make 4wd a better choice?

I like the 4WD for off roading.  Not on serious rocks to climb, but on trails to see the back country, have a picnic and not get stuck in the sand. You  won't believe how much fun it is until you try it.  My 2 cents.
Betty

Our CRV is an all-wheel drive and the difference in cost is recovered at trade-in. As Betty said we do no serious off-roading with it  but have driven many beaches and back country roads that would have been a problem for a 2 wheel drive. This our second and  they both were all-wheel drive and you never know it's there until you need it.

I've looked at the 2010 towing guide and realize that most GM products are towable (never had a GM that I have liked).  I have seen the reports on the Ford Escape problems.  I really chose the Honda CRV but am at Freightliner Gaffney for service and noticed that you can buy Diemler cars (Chrysler, Jeep) for $25 over invoice if you are a Freightliner Chassis Owner Club member.  Probably could strike up the same deal anyway without the membership. So added Jeep to the list so see and try even though it is a 6 cyl and is reported to get 5 mpg less than the CRV.  Just looking now wouldn't want to try to deal while on the road.  Want to be home to add base plate and wiring.
Thanks for the recommendations for 4wd, I've Ben leaning that way anyway.

Back
Top Bottom