2010 Ford Expedition towing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronefx2

My wife & I purchased a new North Trail 22fbs(29'7 overall length, empty weight 4725#) a couple of months ago,  its not a pleasant experience to say the least. It causes the Expedition to want to sway, not so much the trailer swaying. We have an Equalizer brand hitch, but I am just wondering if it is too much trailer for it.  I pull it with my dodge dually & just drop it on the ball w/o any  wd or sway device & It pulls just fine. I know yall will say, just pull with that, but that is not what I am looking to do. Will airbags help? I know the exp. has independent rear axles & coiled springs , unlike a truck with a solid axle & leaf springs, so I just chock it up to the 'soft ride'  causing it. I like the Exp, but  we are looking at trading it in and buying a 1/2 ton p.u. We just bought it in March and really don't want to take the hit, but we are figuring that is what we are gonna have to do. Would  a 1/2 ton pick up would be sufficient?  Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your time.

I wonder if you have enough weight on the hitch.  I don't think the coil springs are the issue. If you don't know actual weights, you can't be sure if you are loaded correctly. I'm not familiar with the Equalizer brand hitch.  Doesn't it have a sway control?

I pull a 6300 lb (actual loaded weight) with my 2009 Dodge half ton which also has coil springs on the back.  I only have a weight distribution hitch and no antisway device and I don't get any sway.  I did take my TT and truck to a gravel yard and confirm the actual weights and I carry about 14% of the TT weight on my hitch. I believe the recomendation is about 15%.  If I put anything like a cooler in the TT, I make sure it is at the front of the TT.

Thanks for responding. I do not not know the actual weight, but we don't carry much stuff, I don't know how else to add tongue weight, when everything is loaded up towards the front to begin with. The hitch was set up by the dealer and it does have sway control built into it.  It's as the Expedition is skating almost. I tried adding air to the rear tires, changing the height of the bars on the hitch, I was thinking about raising the ball on the hitch and trying that. I am just at a dead end.

What type of tires do you have on the Expedition - "LT" (Light Truck) or "P" (Passenger)? P tires have a lot of flex to them and will wiggle when going over bumps. Perhaps this is what is happening?

1.  Weigh that trailer at a public scale -- there are instructions in the Forum Library.  Weigh it with a full travel load, including water on board.  Pay attention to getting a tongue weight.  It should be 11-15% of the total trailer weight.  Too low is bad for stability.

2.  Check the adjustment of the Equalizer -- again there are general instruction in our library but also check out Equalizer's website for their instructions.  A WD hitch with insufficient adjustment can indeed lead to an over-steer condition in the tow vehicle.  A properly adjusted unit should throw enough tongue weight on the truck front axle to restore the truck's normal attitude and under-steer condition.  An Equalizer is a good hitch with integral sway control -- it should be able to do the job.  Check the tensile rating of the spring bars -- it should exceed the tongue weight of the trailer.

3.  Check inflation of both truck and trailer tires.  Low inflation can cause lateral instability.  Move the trailer tires toward the max. inflation shown on the tire sidewalls.

Your trailer has a gross vehicle weight rating of 6900 lbs.  The Expedition with the tow package should handle that nicely.

I'm towing more than that with an 07 Expedition with the HD tow package and the rear air springs and don't have any sway problem. I have the Reese dual cam hp WD setup. I still have the factory 17" tires on the truck which are "P" rated. when not towing I keep them at the recommended 35 psi. When I tow I air them up to 42 psi. They max out at 44 psi. They are going to need replaced next spring and I'm planning on going to the LT tires.

I've towed with 2 different Expeditions. The first had a Reese hitch & pulled a Trailmanor trailer, it wasn't very heavy though. With the 2nd Expedition with a tow package I went with a Equalizer hitch. The dealer set it up and drove it while making adjustments. This pulled a 29' travel trailer, which I don't remember the weight off. But it was heavier than yours.
I know he spent some time with the adjustment washers that tilted the head & bars. That setup had no sign of sway. When I hooked it up the Expedition settled the same front and back.
I think I'd start buy double checking your adjustments & getting it weighed to see how much tongue weight you have. I always thought they were a very good tow vehicle.

well, I really appreciate the replies & advice. I have been messing with different settings on the hitch and bars. I think I might be better off than I was previously. I tried numerous adjustments and took a test drive after each change.  The one way  that felt most stable, was when I raised the hitch from where the dealer had it, added a  washer, and went a notch higher on the  bars. I will take yall's advice and go weigh it, but now I am actually looking forward to see how it does on the next trip, not dreading it.

BTW:eek:ur expedition has factory 20" inch rims and Pirelli Scorpion tires, pretty sure they are "p" rated. I did air the back tires up to 40psi, but not the front i will do that also and see if that helps.

I have a 2006 Expedition (5.4L V8) with tow package and I am towing a 31' Jayco and weighs 7800 Lbs loaded.  I use a Reese dual cam WD hitch and after a few minor adjustments with the hitch, it works great. I am still using the Continental tires that came on the truck but plan to replace them with LT tires when I change them, thanks to the comments from forum members.  I am very satisfied with the truck.

I just towed a 2006 Rockwood (approx 5500 pounds) about 600 miles and I was blown around some due to high winds, but the truck did great. I have an 03 Expedition with the towing package.

As others have stated, I believe you need a hitch adjustment.

I've got a Cougar 31SQB that tows around 7500.  Our 2007 Expedition EL w/the heavy duty towing package does great. 

Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom