We're finally here !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

Ann-Marie and I arrived at Orlando Sanford airport yesterday !!

It's amazing how quickly you pick things up isn't it....

1st thing.....it was the 1st time Ive ever driven an automatic car - it isn't advisable to use the brake pedal like a clutch pedal - OUCH, Ann-Marie has taken a close look at the inside of the windscreen a few times already.? ;D

2nd thing.....when it says your overnight hotel is 5 miles from the airport, you can asume you are lost after driving for 90 minutes without having found the place. It isnt a good idea to store your Sat-Nav inside one of 4 large suitcases (especially when you have no idea which one).

3rd thing....don't come to Florida in the hope of escaping the freezing weather in the UK. Within 24hrs of arriving, weathermen are warning of an overnight frost throughout the State.

4th (and most important) thing....don't keep saying Thank You for everything, as the constant "You're Welcome" will drive you insane after the first 3hrs of a 12 month trip.

Oh well, we are at least starting to settle-in.

I'm going to spend a few days sorting an attorney for a Montana LLC, before we think of buying a car ready for the return of our hire car on Jan 19th.

We will probably be heading to a few RV dealerships over this weekend to get a "taster" of the battle to come.

Regards

Paul & Ann-Marie

Paul & Marie and welcome to the USA. Don't forget to drive on the worng side of the road  ;D

Hi Paul,

Glad to  hear you made it. Yes, we're having some very cool weather for a few days. Hopefully it'll be gone after the weekend. I was in shorts yesterday and jeans and sweatshirt today! Let us know if you'll have some free time. Perhaps we can get together while you are here.

Welcome to the US.  Better head on West and get out of Florida.  We enjoyed Temperatures in the mid 70/s to low 80/s while we were visiting our Daughter, SIL, and Grand daughter in Houston.  Enjoyed nice warm temps all the way back to Yuma where we are now enjoying 80 degrees F SEVERE CLEAR and no chance of improvement.

2nd thing.....when it says your overnight hotel is 5 miles from the airport, you can asume you are lost after driving for 90 minutes without having found the place. It isnt a good idea to store your Sat-Nav inside one of 4 large suitcases (especially when you have no idea which one).
Orlando is about the most confusing traffic and layout in the USA.? ?I get lost everytime I go there.? ?And I drive and navigate in Los Angeles!

3rd thing....don't come to Florida in the hope of escaping the freezing weather in the UK. Within 24hrs of arriving, weathermen are warning of an overnight frost throughout the State.

It was about 80?F in West Los Angeles today.? ?Hint, hint.? ?8)

4th (and most important) thing....don't keep saying Thank You for everything, as the constant "You're Welcome" will drive you insane after the first 3hrs of a 12 month trip.

Wait til you get to the real? South.? ?Yawl have a nice day, heah!? ? ;D

Thanks for the replies guys.

We decided on a 5-mile stroll late this afternoon - heading toward an Indian Restaurant we had seen earlier.

So, I now have another "thing you learn fast" to add :-

Dont walk - it isnt worth it. There are no pavements to walk on !!

If you wish to risk life and limb walking on the edge of a busy road, then great - but get a taxi its easier.

Paul

PS Does anyone know of a GOOD indian restaurant in the USA ?

UK-RV said:

LOL Paul, the USA is a big place. We've been in California 25 years and have travelled extensively in the U.S., but I've yet to see the kind of Indian restaurant you're used to in the UK.

Come West and try Mexican.

Oh yes, Paul, there are good "colonial" East Indian restaurants in the USA.  Having said that, I'm not widely travelled in the USA, and certainly not on the eastern side.  But if you get out west, you'll find them in La Jolla, the San Mateo (San Franciso-ish) area, Surprise (or around there) AZ, Palm Springs area, Reno NV.  These are places where I've had a great East Indian dinner, served as I remember East Indians serving it in Guyana, SA,--family run places with the folks of East Indian heritage doing the serving and speaking with a definite British accent (hence the earlier reference to colonial).

So, keep your eyes open; even phone first and get a feel for the place by who answers and how they represent their fare to you.

Ciao,

Doug

A few years ago an Indian colleague invited us to a Christmas party at his house. Chris and I were the only westerners at the party which was catered by his favourite Indian restaurant here in the San Francisco Bay area. I recall taking my first bite and my mouth and taste buds felt like they'd been anesthetized; I couldn't feel or taste a thing for the rest of the evening.

Definitely not like a curry and chips after a few pints at the pub.

Tom

my mouth and taste buds felt like they'd been anesthetized

Now THATS what I want !!

When we left the UK, our local Indian Restaurant owner, Ali (real name Mustaq [sp]) was really upset to see us go. We've promised him a photo of us with our new RV and an update of our progress.

He recently had a very basic website made which shows his menu. You may like to take a look and compare the names and descriptions to those in the US. The website is http://www.tandoorimasala.co.uk/

Ali is the guy pictured on the website - he's a lovely man and stands around 4' tall.

At least we can take a look at his site and drool over the food if we start to miss the UK.? ;D

You will see that the prices are VERY cheap compared to those at similar restaurants in the US - plus, we always got a free drink or two at the end of our meal. In fact, he did ask us to go in before we left, for a free night of drinking at his expense, but we didn't get the time to take up his offer.

(Ali - if you ever get to read this, remember we are in credit.? ;D)

Regards

Paul & Ann-Marie

Paul & Ann-Marie

Glad you made it in one piece,now the adventure begins !

Well I cant say I ever found a great place to eat in Florida,let alone Indian food, but on your new adventures across the states you will find plenty of great places to eat ;D There are plenty of really good Indian food restaurants here in the Houston area that will remind you of home  :) There's even a great Indonesian restaurant, rated very high on the scale here ,if you like the combination of Indian food and Asian food (very spicy). :p

You will find great Indian out West...  My best friends are Brit ex-pats (Formula One Mechanics that came here and never left...)  Inidan has become one of our staples.......

Tom said:
LOL Paul, the USA is a big place. We've been in California 25 years and have traveled extensively in the U.S., but I've yet to see the kind of Indian restaurant you're used to in the UK.

Come West and try Mexican.

:D I agree! and the little hole in the wall places are the best for authentic Mexican.....Of course my wife is the best Mexican cook I know...

Paul,

Some of those menu items sound absolutely wonderful! My mouth is watering and it's only 7:30 in the a.m.

Hint: When driving an automatic, keep your left foot firmly planted on the floor. Some cars have what's called a 'dead rest', slightly raised from the floor, just for that purpose. Won't take you any time to get used to it - unlike Americans trying to drive on the "wrong' side of the road for the first few (many?) times. :D

Thanks Karl

Im sort of getting used to it now - my only lapses so far have been in Walmart car parks.

It's not too bad driving on the wrong side of the road there, and good fun as you are going much slower you get to see the look of horror on the faces of drivers heading toward you.? ;D

Now then guys, we are starting to focus our search a little now.....

I would appreciate any comments on these similar priced vehicles - any good/bad views please.

http://www.lazydays.com/rvs/Motorho...h_Cross_Country_SE_Diesel_Motorhomes_006.html = Sportcoach 372DS $174,031

http://www.lazydays.com/rvs/motorhomes/Fleetwood/Fleetwood_Bounder_Diesel_Motorhomes_004.html = Fleetwood Bounder 37U $174,721

http://www.lazydays.com/rvs/motorhomes/Fleetwood/Fleetwood_Expedition_Diesel_Motorhomes_013.html = Fleetwood Expedition 37U $176,000

What would you guys expect to pay - Im hoping for low $130s

Thanks for your input

Paul & Ann-Marie

Paul

The Sportscoach is built by Coachmen and the reputation is not that good. The Bounder and Expedition are both built by Fleetwood, the Expedition being more upscale. I would probably choose the Expedition between the 3.

Paul,

I would agree with Bernie's assessment on those coaches. Given you should be able to get at least 25% off you'll be in the ballpark with both the Expedition and Bounder. I have driven the new Bounders with the Freightliner chassis and they handle very nicely. I would expect the Expedition will handle just as well if on the same chassis. Best to drive them to be sure. The Expedition should have slightly better finish inside.

We had owned two Bounders before the Eagle.  Both Bounders were very dependable.  The second Bounder was a diesel pusher.  I'm sure either the Bounder or the Expedition would be a good choice.

Thanks Guys

Ron

- as you are the "Satellite Guy", can you please tell me what the "Auto Locating Sat Dish" would do/comprises of.
- does it have evrything to access tv/internet or would I need to buy modems etc etc.

Thanks for any help.

Paul

The Datastorm from Motosat is a automatic system and cost 4K to 5K installed plus around $90 a month.  This would include all that is needed to get internet to your computer.  Theare are a couple other similar automatic systems and they all cost about the same.  To get TV on the same dish, as we do, you need to buy what they call bird on the wire (BOW) that consists of a bracket and dual LNB for the TV signal.  Whether or not this will work depends on which Satellite is assigned for the internet.  We use a manual setup system which works very well for us. The manual system cost about 1/3 of an automatic system and $60 a month. If I were to go to an automatic system my first choice would be the Datastorm.  There are a few forum members that have the Datastorm system and a few that have the manual system.

Back
Top Bottom