Touchy subject: Are you a drinker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We both partake daily.  I will have a scotch at cocktail time....several times a week but we both have a glass or two of wine at the dinner hour.

Do we over indulge?  The answer is probably that we do when considering the health impact but have never "acted crazy" because of it. 

Rick

After 15 years in the ministry (and 12 of those ministering among the homeless) I have known hundreds of men and women negatively affected by alcohol consumption. Most of them handled it well for a while or until a major life crisis. Many times during the crisis, they turn to what "makes them feel better" and then the the abuse of it really begins and many times just goes down hill from there. I have simply decided not to start down that road.

Some people have what I call "addictive personalities".  Most people dont.  If you have that type of personality, you will find something to be addicted to.  A couple of times in my younger days, I passed up the opportunity to become an alcoholic, I just couldnt drink enough often enough to do it.

Paul

I agree with Pastor Travis, some people start drinking to excess in their later years for good reasons,then they get all screwed up, I think this is foolish. The time to drink to excess is when your young and do it for no good reason so when your old you will not get all screwed up when you start drinking. I started on my 18th birthday and have been in training for my senior years ever since. I can hold my head up in a crowd of old drunks and say one more please anytime, its all about the training!

I know my limit, I drink and I fall down, that's my limit.

I am also a pilot, you ain't gonna get me in one of those flying machines sober

:p!

Pennsylvania Polish have a song we polka to about this subject:

In heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here,
              and when we're gone from here,
              all our friends will be drinking all the beer!!!

That pretty much sums it up!

Wow?. some nice response's.
Thanks for your honesty Seilerbird?.. I too had alcoholic parents and experienced all that tragedy alcoholics can bring, but, still drank myself?.
Soon life taught me I can not drink without putting myself or others in harms way.
Sure wish I could?., really enjoyed it . I would never suggest anyone stop (and no one on thread did)  but, I would ask honest reflection about ones own drinking.

MY definition of an Alcoholic:
Anyone who's consumption of alcohol ?repeatedly? and ?predictably?causes a problem for himself or others, may be an Alcoholic.

Drives impaired often?. putting himself and others in jeopardy.
Personality change?. Acts mean to the wife or his pets.
Disregards his doctor's advise and continues to ruin his body in the privacy of his home.
List goes on......

Think of this:
A man never drinks all year, but, gets high at Chrismas party, tells boss off, drivers home impaired. Swears he will not do it again, but does year after year. My opinion? he is an alcoholic. Picks up the first drink and he is off to the races.

Hope I have not offended anyone.
Tried many time on my own to stop but could not till I got help of AA... 19 years on Nov. 1st
Without the help of my "Higher power" and meetings, I will drink again.
Mr. Bojangles

I to was raised by a succession of drunks and have had an aversion to them ever since,, I don't mind drinking in general but will not tolerate a drunk.>>>Dan

When we were young we drank quite a bit.  It was a problem, my husband could take one drink and was drunk no tolerance.  Eventually he realized it was causing him lots of problems.  I would get mad and try to get even, noone wins.

Neither of us have drank for over 30 years now.  If he had continued we would not have made it together for 43 years.

Now I think younger people get drinking wound up with drugs and really mess their lives up.

PatrioticStabilist said:
Now I think younger people get drinking wound up with drugs and really mess their lives up.

Or they have messed up lives, so they start to drink and do drugs.

Paul

Mark R.

My wife put up with me for 32 years...., the last 19 have not been toooo bad for her. A total of 50 some years.... Yes, she is one of my "Higher Powers" for sure.

What's that Nancy....? I'll be right down Hon.
Oh my..., I Gota go.

Yes my drink of choice is a good south australian red which i have 2 glasses every day and find there is nothing better than looking over
the ocean or out in the simpson dessert looking up at the brilliant stars with a good glass wine and good company

Aussies are known to enjoy their beer, as are Taffs. Best enjoyed during or after a rugby (union) game, either at Cardiff Arms Park, now the Millennium Stadium, or down under.

Before a game, us Taffs are known to sing Waltzing Matilda, only because most folks outside of AU don't know the national anthem. But it's still meant as a sign of respect for the country and the Wallabies.

Enough already, beer  scotch wine gin and tonic, now you all have me wanting a drink! Well I guess one won't hurt, excuse me I have to go get it.

Just had my usual 2 glasses of wine. But still wondering what the OP was interested in when she started the thread :)

Wendy

I'm a drunk, not an alcoholic.  I don't have to go to meetings.

I've always let the following words (attributed to W.C.Fields) be my guide to responsible drinking.

Nobody minds a man having a morning eye-opener and it's OK to have a bracer about 10 A.M. and a couple of drinks before lunch.  A few beers on a hot afternoon keeps a man healthy, or at least happy.  And, of course everyone drinks at a cocktail hour.  A man can't be criticized for having wine with his dinner, a liqueur after wards, and a highball or two during the evening.  But this business of sip, sip, sip, all day long has  got to stop!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom