Touchy subject: Are you a drinker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aka Porky said:
All liquor, wine and beer are priced, taxed and even marketed differently in each of the States.  Prices vary drastically from area to area.  Example: A bottle of my favorite (cheap bar) vodka is $16 in NC, but only $9 in VT.
Wow.  Hmm, I'd make all my trips into the USA via Vermont but my liver wouldn't survive.  <smile>

Amusingly enough a 26 oz of Alberta Vodka was $24 in Alberta but $20 in Manitoba.  Now go figure that one out.

aka Porky said:
All liquor, wine and beer are priced, taxed and even marketed differently in each of the States.

That's also true of Canadian provinces, it's all regulated at the province level.  We see price variation between provinces too.  Also how it's sold.  Some only in government run stores, others in convenience and grocery stores.

The state of New Hampshire, which has no liquor tax, has two huge stores on their own I-95 "rest area". One for northbound and the other for southbound. Practically a mandatory stop if you are traveling through New England and aren't a teetotaler.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The state of New Hampshire, which has no liquor tax, has two huge stores on their own I-95 "rest area". One for northbound and the other for southbound. Practically a mandatory stop if you are traveling through New England and aren't a teetotaler.

However, if you have Massachusetts plates on your car, the MA police have been known to stake out the parking lot and call ahead to report MA drivers making purchases and not paying MA taxes. They are then stopped after crossing back into MA.

Staff

Can you please explain why the end quote () keeps getting deleted from quoted messages, merging the response into the the message? See above.

BernieD said:
Staff

Can you please explain why the end quote () keeps getting deleted from quoted messages, merging the response into the the message? See above.

See, it even happens when inserted in a message, but not now??????????

I went back and corrected my earlier post.  The price quotes I mentioned should have read New Hampshire not Vermont.

BernieD said:
Staff

Could you be typing your response inside the "quotes?"  Is so it will look like this.

But if you type it outside the quotes it looks like this.

Bernie,

The quote tags weren't correct. This can easily happen when clicking the Quote button and editing what you want quoted, or when copying/pasting from another message.

I fixed the tags in your prior message but, next time it happens, click the Quote button for that message and look at the tags. Meanwhile, you could try it on any existing message to see how they should look, e.g. (without the spaces):

[ quote author=BernieD link=topic=36416.msg339413#msg339413 date=1285430536 ]Bernie's text here[ /quote ]

It's OK to edit the link to:

[ quote author=BernieD ]Bernie's text here [ /quote ]

Or to:

[ quote ]Bernie's text here [ /quote ]

Edit: forgot to explain that the forum software interprets what it sees when you click the Post button; Depending on whether there's an additional or missing tag, it could delete a tag later in the message, or add one. Haven't attempted to figure out all the permutations, but a few trials on the Member Practice Board will help illustrate it.

Thank you Tom, can we get back to drinking now?  Uhh, I mean talking about drinking...

Hummm, very interesting question. About 15 or 16 years ago my parents were the managers of an RV court just north of Tucson. Dad said the reason pull through spots were so much in demand . . . Well, you get the picture.

Now, it could be that some would say that since my parents were teetotalers they just didn't understand some folks having a drink or two while nearing their stopping spot. Perhaps.

My short question is -- how many claim to have the drink after stopping but might forget to mention the drink(s) before stopping.

That's a pretty cynical view. When we want a pull-thru it's because we're just stopping for the night and don't feel like disconnecting the toad to park. And we NEVER drink before or while driving - it's a stupid thing to do. However, once the coach stops moving and it's post time, I pour myself a glass of wine. My parents started RVing in the early 60s and while they nearly always had a glass of wine or a highball when stopped for the night they never, ever drank before or during driving. I think you and your parents are referring to the exception rather than the rule.

Wendy

Yvonnejournals said:
My short question is -- how many claim to have the drink after stopping but might forget to mention the drink(s) before stopping.

Neither my husband or I ever drink and drive.  Never.  Not once.  Never even came close.

But once we are parked and hooked up, often the first thing we'll do is pour a glass of wine. 

I enjoy my scotch and imbibe  daily.  Never do I drive after drinking.  Sure like others, I did in my younger years.  DW seldom drinks.  After I have had a scotch, she is the driver. 

Only a fool or someone with zero assets would drink and drive today.   

Marsha/CA said:
Alan, if you live in Canada, I can see how you could save up a lot of money by not drinking to buy a nice coach.  Liquor costs a lot in Canada!

Marsha

Actually we live in Florida and are just here for the summer. Yes both alcohol and cigarettes are a lot more expensive up here than down home but  how much difference I don't know as we don't buy any.I do still firmly believe we were able to afford our Bounder because we were able to save some of our money by not drinking and smoking It may not have completely bought it but it sure helped. As far as the nice part it is a nice coach but there are a lot that are far nicer out there but the people we tell that to seem to think it is the top of the line and that we are rich,I guess they have not been out shopping for new coaches lately. thanks Alan

I can remember taking trips with the family where Dad would pull out a single beer at lunch at the picnic stop, but those days are way past for most of us. Never have a beer while driving. Once the trailer's backed in however........

Mike

Since DH and I are truck drivers, the only time we drink is when we are home or camping.  His drink of choice is beer and mine is Debbaritas (my version of a Margarita).  So most assuredly when the camper is parked, the alcoholic beverages (or Frosty Adult Beverages as we like to call them) do come out.

CDN_Taxman said:
The beer I was drinking during this year's trip to Cooperstown, NY was Keystone Light and regular Busch.

Seeing how beer is really only rented, it was perfectly fine on those hot, hot days and didn't taste all that bad to me either.

And, to boot, they were in cans. In Canada we pay about a $ 5 premium for cans!

And I only used the Duty Free because I don't know what Crown Royal goes for in the States!

Mike

You were in Cooperstown, NY - home of the baseball hall of fame - and did not have any "Old Slugger Pale Ale" or "Strike Out Stout" from the Cooperstown Brewing Company? Shame on you!

As one who has consumed enough Scotch and Soda for several people in several lifetimes - I wonder how many dreams are dried up in the bottom of those glasses - how many brilliant ideas never hatched - how many friends never met.

I'm happy to say that now it's a glass of wine at dinner - if I'm not driving.  Maybe a few in the evening if there's been a white knuckle trip that day.  I've found it's fun to be the designated driver - sometimes the show is worth much more than the price of admission!

johncmr

Gary [RV Roamer] said:
My step dad was an alcoholic and it affected his health more than his ability to function. Cirrhosis of the liver killed him at a fairly early age. Not a pretty way to go.  The memory helps keep me from becoming dependent on it.

Warning: Graphic language!!!!  Yep, I myself have seen someone leave this earth from 'esophageal hemorrhaging'.  It's when your liver can't filter the blood anymore, and the next fastest way to the heart is through the capillaries in the esophagus. These capillaries weren't meant to transport such an enormous amount of blood, so they, for lack of a better term' burst, and she bleed into her stomach.  But hind site, she had yellowing of her skin and eyes for along time (can't think of the term right now), so that should have been a warning to her.  She has survived by her loving husband (Vet with great stories) and a daughter and a grand-daughter).

Back
Top Bottom