Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: John Canfield et al re MCD shades  (Read 2368 times)

Clay L

• ---
John Canfield et al re MCD shades
« on: September 25, 2010, 02:39:58 PM »
We have installed American Duo MCD shades in the living area of our motor home and now want to have the motorized models installed in the windshield area. We have a two piece windshield.
The two defrost fans on the underside of the overhang will have to be moved back several inches so the shades will clear them. The shade brackets and the new valances will be below the surface of the overhang by about six inches. This will shield about 1/2 half of the air coming from the fans. I don't want to have to fabricate something to drop the fans down but I don't see an alternative.

Did anyone have this problem and if so how was it handled?
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats), Sali (toy poodle)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
Re: John Canfield et al re MCD shades
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 04:35:14 PM »
I had to move our defrost fans a bit away from the windshields when we installed our MCD shades, but our shades are mounted well above the fans in a narrow space between the cabinets and glass. If I understand what you are describing, it does sound like you may need to build a "box" or other framework to lower the fans a bit below the shade mounting brackets. ...or perhaps somethhing to go all the way across under the cabinets to hide the shades and their mounting brackets....a woodworker should be able to finish some pieces of wood to match your woodwork, or perhaps you have the abilty and resources to do that yourself.

Our coach has a piece of wood apx 3 2/4" wide mounted with L brackets along the bottom of the overhead cabinets on the edge closer to the driver and passenger -- it's purpose apparently was to block direct view of the mounting brackets for the original power sunshades that we removed when we installed the MCD shades. Doing something like this, and then using a box structure to lower the fans a bit, should work in your situation.  I don't know how your front setup compares to ours, but it can't be TERRIBLY different...
Paul ... (KE5LXU), was fulltimin', now parttimin'...
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40e
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited toad
Escapees, FMCA, SMART, WIT
Blog at www.pjrider.com

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 10:07:12 PM »
Surprisingly our fans didn't need to be moved for the MCD windshield (we have a two-piece windshield) shade and valance.  I was considering upgrading the fans to the later model ones with apparently a blower in the overhead cabinet and a directional 'ball' vent in a socket to direct the air.  We rarely use the fans so it never became a priority and it is even less so since the valance hides about half of the fans.

I can take some pictures of our dash shades if that would help.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

maverickbbd

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 10:33:44 AM »
John, when Doug (pushrod) was showing me his new floor in the coach, he also showed me his new MCD shade on the windshield.  I did not take notice of his fans but I believe you both have ident. coaches.  I guess I was too enamored with wheres and hows of the 37" tv mount.  You may want to contact him.

Clay L

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 10:34:24 AM »
With Lee's help I remeasured and I think the shades will fit between the fans and the windshield. She also came up with the idea of using an Ultra Leather covered valence attached to the bottom of the overhead cabinets as described by afchap on the back side of the fans  (towards the rear of the motor home). We were going to put the valence between the fans and the shades but I think this will solve the problem.

We use the fans when we are traveling with the house AC on to move cool air around a little in the front.
We have some Ultra Leather left over from the reupholstering project. Lee reupholstered the dinette cushions, couch and captains chairs - she's pretty talented.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats), Sali (toy poodle)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad