Goodyear Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dirko

Hi Ho:  Well, I'm new to this web site, but here goes:  We have a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser with Goodyear tires (245/70R 19.5 F).  Great service, simply time to replace them.  However, it seems to be not so simple.  The most recent date code I've been able to find is over 2 1/2 years old.  The best replacement seems to be:  245/70R 19.5 G G670.

So I send an email to Goodyear Truck tires and get the following reply:  "Due to the downturn in the economy, sales of RV tires has been slow atbest.  Tires that have been in Goodyear warehouses have been stored properly and there should be no ill effects from their shelf life.    Our newest warranty includes a 7 year weather cracking clause."

Further asked when "new" tires would be available and got "No new production scheduled" as a reply.

I don't think I want "new" tires that are over 2 1/2 years old, so now what?

I guess I could go to Michelin, but the sizes don't match exactly, so I would have to buy 7 instead of 6 tires.  Tire dia. for Goodyear G670 is 33.0 inches and for Michelin XZE is 33.6 inches.  I don't think duals would appreciate the difference.
Am I missing something?  Any ideas?

Dirk

Check out Continental, Bridgestone, Yokohama as well.  They all make truck size tires that should fit your wheels.  Just be sure to check the dual spacing.  No good reason to buy 2+ year old tires today.

Wow - what a problem to be confronted with!  I for one would not want to put "new" tires on my coach that already were sitting around for a couple of years.  No thank you.

That is the very reason we put on G670 245/70R 19.5 load range G instead of F.  Check what your wheels max PSI rate is.  If I remember right you need 110 or 115 PSI rated wheels.  Also note that in Feb. 2006 Goodyear G670 245/70R 19.5 was retooled which increased the LR F max. tire pressure from 85 to ?95? PSI.  In other words, always check the weight vs. PSI charts for whatever tire you buy.

If this is not clear, I can look it all up again.

Jennifer

Hi Ho:  Thanks for the response.  I'm leaning toward the Michelin XZE tires.  Jennifer is exactly right in that new tires of the same type may not be rated the same.  For example it appears that the Goodyear G670 tires need about 10 lbs. more air presssure for the same weight rating as the tires that we currently have.  Still, I'm kind of disappointed that "new" Goodyear tires are not readily available.

The question is then:  Will the ride be harder with 10 lbs. more pressure?  We could get by with 85 lbs. with Michelin and not exceed the weight on any single tire.  The only problem is the difference in size and I'm about ready to just get 7 instead of 6 so they all match.  At least the driving tires can be the same as the steering tires if I read the specs right.

Dirko, I have the same rig as you. I replaced all 7 of my tires with the G670s, I ordered load range G but CW put on Fs it took CW a week to get the Gs in and installed so I had a good chance to compare and the Gs ride much better and the rig doesn't waddle like it used to. The G's also provide more buffer to the gvwr.  In my opinion there isn't any reason to consider lr F's.

kl

The axle weight was just under the load range F max weight.  Thus going to load range G gives us more margin.  You will not have a harder ride if you get load range F and fill to its max. of 95PSI.  I think, perhaps, would have a softer ride with load range G and filling to 90 or 95 lbs. for 22,000 lb. gvwr coach.  I think it is correct that if your tire PSI needs to be hight enough to support the weight on your axles. 

Jennifer

When I re-tired last fall, I went to load range H from G since my front axle was almost always loaded to the axle max of 12,000 which was about at the max capacity for the G rating.  I needed to run about 115-120 psi with the G, now I can run about 105-110 psi with the H tires.

There was a bit of a difference in the ride - it was a little better (better as in a little softer), but the primary benefit for me was the extra safety margin (and it is a whole bunch easier to air up the tires to 105-110 instead of 120!)

We have been running Michelin tires on our vehicles for as long as I can remember and we went with the Michelin XZA3 (as I recall) for the Horizon, been very pleased with the tires.

I recently replaced the 4 rear tires on the MH. After shopping around I decided to use Goodrich. The tires are 19.5, load range H. Checking the load charts the pressures are the same as Michelin. Also the DOT is late November 2009.
Goodrich is owned by Michelin and these tires have a tread patten very similar to the originals.

Back
Top Bottom