Another crazy question: The 'camp site food'.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyAustin

So, when you back in to your spot, get every thing leveled and plugged in and finally, get your chairs out.... and relax under the awning with a drink... what do you put on your little cooker outside with the hot coals just outside the little carpet you just laid down on the cement directly under your awning?  This is of course considering that you have a little charcoal cooker.  My theory is ... [back when] a t-bone was 1.99 a pound, I'd put 2 of them right on the grill !!!!  And then, if I had a salad, I'd eat that for dessert. Salad right after a steak that's medium rare is king.  Edit: I remember when t-bones were 1.99 a pound, and rib-eyes were about the same price...  Not any more. 

What is your favorite food that you put on your grill for dinner?

Usually have to have several of those "drinks" before I can get my mind around anything else. ;D

This summer, we have cooked a lot of steaks on the firepit.

Usually we cook strip loins and make the not-so-secret sauce from "L'Entre-c?te St-Jean" in Vieux-Qu?bec.

Sauce recipe:
  • ? cup butter
  • ? teaspoon thym
  • ? teaspoon tarragon
  • ? cup cream 18 % or 35%   
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • a few turns on the pepper mill
Melt butter and spices and let bubble for a few minutes, do not burn the butter.  Add the cream and mix well.  Add the mustard and pepper.  Serve on top of steak.  It can be made ahead of time and reheated.

Note, on the picture is was prime rib and tenderloin, but we need variety.

Attachments

• IMG_5945 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5945 - Copy.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
Marc,

It looks like you take the grill off of a Webber Q and put it on the fire pit. Do you feel that using the fire pit versus a Q gas grill makes for a more favorable steak?
Would the sauce that you posted the recipe for not negate any flavor advantage from the fire pit?

codgerbill said:
It looks like you take the grill off of a Webber Q and put it on the fire pit. Do you feel that using the fire pit versus a Q gas grill makes for a more favorable steak?  Would the sauce that you posted the recipe for not negate any flavor advantage from the fire pit?

Bill, the sauce is just for putting the fire out. :D

Yes it's the grill from my WeberQ.  On the firepit, I get much better char marks from the grill than with the WeberQ and as such a much better job at searing the steak. It's almost twice as hot and works better than the infrared sear zone on my home BBQ (which works great btw).

And the sauce compliments it, it's made with cream and butter, comes from the same animal.

Another reason for using the firepit is just primal instinct of cooking meat on a fire.

One of our favorites is Sea Scallops wrapped with Maple Bacon, with Dill Sauce used during grilling, and the large shrimp also gets the dill sauce. Topped off by a really good Reiseling wine.

Right after finishing and setting up and after the first couple of beers?

Usually just hamburgers or something else quick like that. Now during the camp time, steaks, tenderloins, salmon and a whole bunch of other tasties!

Mike

No coals for us, we love our Weber Q. A couple of favorites on the Q are chicken marinated in italian dressing and tuna steaks with a little EVOO, lemon juice and fresh oregano. And you can't beat hot dogs on the grill.

Wendy

I've plugged in the smoker and done butt, ribs and chicken....provides greater beverage time.  Also have done Low Country Boil....deep fried onion rings in my cast iron wok.  Use the Baby Q for whatever will fit on it...veggies, shrimp again, steaks, potato skins.  I just love to cook, neighbors must think we're a concession stand.  My wife make wonderful salads....oh almost forgot grilled lobster and whole bell peppers are delicious!  Only if my dog RooBee would actually catch a squirrel...

lashag said:
Only if my dog RooBee would actually catch a squirrel...

Ewww. Long time ago when backpacking in the Colorado mountains, our malamute was running around and came back with a dead squirrel in her mouth, dropped it by the fire, and grinned at me, so proud of herself for bringing dinner. I screamed for Mike and he tossed it in the lake....we had no clue what to do with it. Poor Sam, the malamute, was so disappointed that her dumb people didn't appreciate her catch.

Wendy

Which lake was that Wendy? Remind me not to drink the water there  :eek:

Tom said:
Which lake was that Wendy? Remind me not to drink the water there  :eek: 

You're probably safe - it was a 2-day hike in to the lake :)  And it was in the 70s so I'm guessing the squirrel is long gone. Actually, that was back in the days when you dipped your cup into a stream and drank the water and we hadn't even heard of giardia.

Wendy

We're not in the rig, so the BBQ at home had to do, but supper tonight was one of my favourites.  Couple of beers to get into the mood, baked new potatoes (yes Marsha we still have a few left from a trip to PEI), and fresh caught salmon basted with drawn butter and maple syrup.  Simple, but delicious.

Ed

One of our favourites when we are at the lake lot in the summer is a whole rolled pork loin done on the spit!
Absolutely incredible ! We usually have a crew of about 15 to feed when we do this. Great with new potatoes in cream and young beets with the greens attached.  YUM!

Ed, you are driving me crazy.  Those potatoes from P.E.I were fabulous and you know how much I love fish...Salmon sounds so yummy.

Regarding the topic, if we are driving a full day, I'll stick something in the crock pot, let it cook all day while we are on the road.  When we park, throw a tossed salad together, open the crock pot and voila`....dinner.  If we get to the campsite early, we set up, have a few drinks and still have a great dinner.

Marsha~

It's hard to beat grilled beef over a charcoal type BBQ when camping!  You can now buy the briquettes with bits of flavoring wood pressed right in, for that extra smokey flavor...YUM!

We like to take a Tri-Tip along...those Ribeye's and Filets shown above are a great mouth-watering choice!  We usually only use fresh cracked pepper and sea salt on both sides of the meat, as a 'rub', before grilling...

I also make hamburger patties ahead of time, stick em' in some Food Saver pouches and pull a light vacuum on them - then pop em' in the freezer at home before we leave - they lay flat, and you can easily stack several bags in the RV freezer.  These flat burger bags thaw out rapidly when it's time to grill...

If you want the best burgers - buy a couple of Tri-Tips when they're on sale - we get em' under $3/lb on sale - then put them in your freezer at home for about 1/2 hour - then cut up into about 1 inch cubes (freezer makes the meat firmer for cutting) - then toss the cubes into a food processor to give you a course 'grind' - form into 'loose' burgers - don't pack the meat too tightly, or it will be tough when cooked - this is  a GREAT burger or for taco meat! ;)  At least you know what kind of meat is in your burgers when you 'grind' em' up yourself! ;)

Sometimes we'll make chili at home and freeze it 'flat' in Food Saver bags before leaving - it makes a great 1st night hearty meal that's easy to heat up after setting up camp... :p

Sorry, can't write any more right now, got to go fire up the BBQ  ::)

Ray

Mexray said:
I also make hamburger patties ahead of time, stick em' in some Food Saver pouches and pull a light vacuum on them - then pop em' in the freezer at home before we leave - they lay flat, and you can easily stack several bags in the RV freezer.  These flat burger bags thaw out rapidly when it's time to grill...

Sometimes we'll make chili at home and freeze it 'flat' in Food Saver bags before leaving - it makes a great 1st night hearty meal that's easy to heat up after setting up camp... :p

For the hamburger patties, I do somewhat the same.  In a large bowl, I mix the meat, an egg or two, oatmeal or breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and steak spices.  I them make patties and just lay them flat on cookie sheets, put in the freezer.  Once frozen, I put them all in a large ziplock bag.  Not good for a few months because they will get freezer burn that way, but for a month or a little bit more, it's fine.  I put them frozen on the grill.

We also freeze chili and spaghetti sauce in sandwich size ziplock bags for the same reason as you.  When frozen flat, you can stack a lot in the freezer, and it thaws in 10 minutes in the sink with water.  My wife will sometimes make soup and also freeze it that way when we are too lazy to can it.

Addition to tonight's menu.  Since the oil will already be hot because of the turkey, a friend will also deep fry some breaded shrimps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DUSM0518
Back
Top Bottom