Leveling jack won't retract fully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=5khiVZznFMXxsAXr04KICQ&url=http://www.hwh.com/ml47149.pdf&ved=0CCwQFjAD&usg=AFQjCNFlcNcArRmF50mOm1uTpklWVeCIOg

Just Lou said:
Let the games begin. ;)

From the WD40 web site;
A Question of Lubrication Myth: WD-40? Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the ?W-D? in WD-40? stands for Water Displacement, WD-40? Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product?s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
Where's Seilerbird when you need him?

Try duct tape, one thing you will never hear. "duct tape can't fix it".

I have 07 Journey SE (s#*!y edition) same problem lazy jack.  DRY SILICON does the trick. Wipe down each cylinder after spraying. 

[quote author=Molake]Where's Seilerbird when you need him?[/quote]

He hasn't been here in a long time, and I doubt he'll be back.

yfx4 said:
Thank you!! It's great to get advice from folks with WAY more experience and knowledge than I.

The paragraph below caught my eye (emphasis added). I will probably get the new springs but am expecting a new cylinder.

If the jacks will retract completely but exceed the allowable retraction times, replacing the return springs will in most cases resolve the problem. In normal conditions above freezing, if a jack will retract with a little assistance, replacing the springs may resolve the problem. If a jack has to be forced up, as with a
pry bar, the cylinder will most likely have to be replaced.
If replacing the springs does not solve the problem, the cylinder must be replaced. NOTE: If the jack is equipped with the new style tapered springs, do not replace the springs, replace or repair the cylinder.

I'll check it like HWH said and go from there!!  8)
I've had a variety of HWH products on different RVs and, overall, I've been pretty happy with them. However, HWH says the "Allowable retraction time" for my jacks is fifty (50) minutes! If the jacks retract within that time they're considered to be operating within specs. That's right out of my owners manual and right from the HWH guy I spoke with when I contacted them about a slow retracting jack. I'm sorry, but 50 minutes seems ridiculous. Ours have the newer tapered springs but it has not made any difference.

Here's what I've learned about the jacks and this all-too-common problem. We store our RV with the jacks partially extended so we can keep one of the slides open. Doing so, however, seems to cause the jack springs to develop a memory of sorts, and one jack in particular takes a long time to retract. As a test, I stored our RV for a few days with the jacks fully retracted, and then I extended them and then retracted them. Well guess what... they worked fine. The jack springs seem to lose some of their tension - their ability to retract - when they're left in an extended (stretched out) position for any length of time.

From what I've been able to read about HWH springs, they're not known for being made out of the highest quality metal. Several people have opined that zinc coated springs are much better suited for retaining their ability to retract over time. There's actually a post on this forum, that's several years old, about HWH springs (Sorry, I don't have the URL handy). In it, the OP goes into some detail about this issue - pictures and all.

In the end, I decided to not wait 50 minutes for my jacks to retract, and to not pay the $470.00 HWH quoted me for a new cylinder (labor not included). After all, it's simply spring tension that retracts the jacks. Instead, I put two inexpensive zinc coated "helper" springs on the outside of the problem-jack's existing springs, and I haven't had a problem since. FWIW

Kev

Just Lou said:
Let the games begin. ;)

From the WD40 web site;
A Question of Lubrication Myth: WD-40? Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the ?W-D? in WD-40? stands for Water Displacement, WD-40? Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product?s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

The reason WD-40 is not recommended as a lubricant is most lubricants stick around far better than WD-40.. IT works well when you apply it but quickly goes away.. Some other lubricants work well when you first apply them and months later.. Work even better. (Those are expensive). 

I would not use it as a general purpose lube but it sure cuts the crud well.  I just used it on a control shaft on a vintage piece of audio gear.. PRE-treatment I could not turn the switch with tools.. After  Just the plastic knob will do the job.

yfx4 said:
What springs did you use?
Sorry Bill and scott. I should have addressed that. They are extension springs that are manufactured by Ever Bilt and I got them at Home Depot in the hardware section. They sell various sizes but the dimensions of the springs I used are, 1 &1/8" X 16" X .105". They would have fit right off the shelf and for all I know, they would have worked fine, but I wanted them to pull a bit harder so I cut 20 coils off them (There are two springs - one on each side of the jack). I just kind of "eye-ball-gauged" their strength and cut them down a bit so they'd have more pulling power. I used a small set of bolt cutters to cut the coils while the springs were held in a vice and then I used two sets of vice grips to bend a new hook into the new end of the wire (I hope that makes sense).

To test them, I fully extended the jacks, left them for awhile, and then pushed the auto-store button. For the first time since I've had this motorhome, the slow-to-retract-jack retracted with all the other jacks and they continue to do so. Life is good!

Kev

Back
Top Bottom