windshield wipers come on with headlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SRMartin

why does our windshield wipers come on when we turn on the headlights? We have a Mountain Aire by Newmar, it is a 1993. They are not on the same switch, two separate button on the dash.

Edit:Moderator expanded title to be more descriptive

Well that's a heck of a note!  Just a guess, but maybe the headlight wire is shorted to a wiper wire. It could be the headlights come on when you turn the wipers on too, but you never noticed it. Take a look. They might be very dim if they are being fed from the wiper circuit.

By the way, welcome to The RV Forum - glad you joined us.

I have no idea what is causing your problem, but I have thought about designing just such a circuit mod.  It's a law in North Carolina that if your wipers are required your headlights must also be used.

Lou, but no law that says your wipers have to be on when your headlights are on :)

Ned said:
Lou, but no law that says your wipers have to be on when your headlights are on :)

That's correct Ned.  I mistook Orick's comment to be the original post of the problem.  I want mine to do what his does.

Then it's no problem :)  Our headlights are always on, daytime running lights.

Ned said:
Then it's no problem :)  Our headlights are always on, daytime running lights.

It's been the law in Canada for years that all vehicles must have non-optional daytime running lights installed.  Older vehicles are exempt but the law has been around for about 20 years.

The downside is that sneaking out early from a drive-in movie is frowned upon.

A circuit design that would cause the headlights to come on when the wipers are turned on could utilize a diode between the two circuits.  Diode failure is generally manifested as a short.  A shorted diode in such a circuit would cause both to come on when either were turned on.

I don't know if they do it this way in the automotive industry, but it is the first place I would look.

In NC Daytime Running Lights are not considered Headlights for purposes of Headlights on when Wipers on unless the Daytime Running lights are in fact your Headlights.  In most vehicles DT Running Lights are separate from the Headlights.

Another reason for using headlights is that in many cases daylight running lights do not activate the tail lights.

When Illinois changed the law requiring headlights with w/s wipers several people bought kits that turned on the lights automatically and had them installed. It sounds like someone did that to your RV but got the outputs crossed.

deal said:
It's been the law in Canada for years that all vehicles must have non-optional daytime running lights installed.  Older vehicles are exempt but the law has been around for about 20 years.

The downside is that sneaking out early from a drive-in movie is frowned upon.

I've always hated daytime running lights that can't be turned off. On an airport at night I often don't want my lights blinding taxiing pilots, for one example. As rare as drive-in movies are these days, that's still a good example of why you need to be able to turn them off at times. Certain camping areas (with the Scouts, for example) need the ability to use only your parking lights sometimes, and there are other times, as well. Of course the lack of control is a factor (for me) in and of itself.

Have had daytime running lights on my vehicles for at least 20 years or so, (Canada eh?). I have never seen any that were nearly as bright as the regular headlights (low beams). AFIK they are usually the regular headlight bulbs with reduced power as supplied by the Daytime Running Light Module. Tail lights do not come on with most cars. I think that on my 2010 car, putting on the parking lights cancels the DTRL's but I can't verify that right now.

In the evening, I have been guilty of driving with them alone on city streets where other illumination is present and not noticing, especially after exiting a brightly lit shopping centre parking lot.

Toyota and many other manufacturers have in fact given you control over the operation of the day time running lights.  Many can be turned off by simply depressing the parking brake one click. This usually is not enough to cause any braking, or turn on any brake warning lights, but will de-activate the running lights.  Give it a try.

BTW - The headlight switch, with it's built in circuit breaker, and the wiper switch, with it's delay wiper features, precludes a simple diode between the two to effect the desired solution being discussed.  The wiper switch could never handle the extra current load of the headlights.  The kit(s) that I've seen put each function under relay control and removes the heavy load from the switches.

Back
Top Bottom