Yosemite to Las Vegas via Death Valley in a rented RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big J

Hi All I am posting from Australia and have a couple of route questions for the collective.

. After reading all the posts on Death Valley I am starting to question if I should be travelling via the 190 in June in a rented RV (C25)? I am experienced with desert driving in Australia, but that is in my truck which I trust. Being prepared is key here. Will the 190 incline and temperature in June really be an issue? I don't want drama whilst travelling with my family because the rented RV overheats, but it seems like too good an experience to pass up?

. If the 190 is not recommended in a rented RV, how will I be coming over the Tioga pass from west to east? Again it looks amazing and at that time of year I am not expecting over heating problems up there. Is the road suitable?

Thanks in advance. I would appreciate your experience based opinions.

Regards
Jason

No it is a horrible idea to go to Death Valley and Las Vegas in June in an Rv or any type of vehicle.

First off the Tioga Pass is rarely open in June, it is still snowed in. Second there is very little support between Yosemite and Death Valley. Cell phone service is very poor to non existent in that area. If you have any type of breakdown you could be stuck in an non-air conditioned vehicle for many hours in intense heat. Yosemite is wonderful in June, all the waterfalls are going and the temperature is perfect. The park will be crowded but that won't be a problem. I would not go to either Las Vegas or Death Valley between April and October. It is way too hot then. We are talking 110 or worse every day. In the evening it gets down to 90. Your RV can only cool things down by 20 degrees so it will be 90 minimum in the RV. Either do this trip during the winter or go to the California coast instead.

To add to Tom's comment, the final leg of the eastbound road from Yosemite into Death Valley is 17 miles of downhill with no level areas.  It isn't the most fun ride and can be downright scary as you try not to burn up your brakes.  Certainly agree also re the temperatures.  Today the temperature in Las Vegas will be 103 degrees F and Death Valley will be about 117 degrees F.  These are not good temperatures for RVers.  You can't enjoy hiking and the beauty the area has to offer when it's that hot!  (Think of climbing Ayres Rock in the middle of summer.)  Most of us prefer to go to Death Valley in the winter.  Save that portion of your trip for another time.

ArdraF

I lived in Death Valley for 4 years. Listen to Tom and Ardra, it is not a place to visit in summer unless you like and enjoy extreme heat. Campsites in Death Valley with electric hookups are few and even if it stays below 100 degrees, you'll still need the A/C in June to get the temperature down to a comfortable sleeping temperature. There are lots of great places to see in California in June. Stay up in the mountains or head to the coast. Leave Death Valley for a winter or spring trip.

Wendy

Thanks for the advice Guys, looks like I will be spending more time in the Mountains ;)

Regards
Jason

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom