12v wall lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm tired of bang the back of my head on the lights behind the couch and  putting a hat over them when they are on to cut down on the harsh light. I haven't found any I like to replace them. I was wondering if the ones found at Home Depot could be convert to 12v.
Thanks
Grannie

Hi Granny,

It might be possible to convert some lights to 12V but it would depend upon whether a 12V bulb is available in the same style. What kind of unit do you have? Are there overhead cabinets above where you might install recessed lights? Of course, these might be harsh as well. You might be able to find a lower wattage bulb but it would not keep you from banging your head.

Converting a 110V lamp to 12 VDC is likely more trouble than its worth.

Some suggestions:
(1) Replace the existing lamps with flourescent flat panles, which are flat and will only stick out and inch or so.

(2) Install a small inverter so you can use 110V lamps - a 75-100 watt model would power a couple small 110V lamps.

(3) Check the marine stores for another source of 12V lighting - you might find something you like there. West Marine, Boats US, etc.  There are actually a lot of 12V lighting fixtures made, but they are hard to locate at retail.

Most boating stores will carry 12 volt bulbs that have a standard 110 volt type screw in base. That would be easier perhaps, than trying to run 110V wiring to the lamp location.

Modst auto supply and most hardware stores will have 12V "Standard" light bulbs as well  Very common items, find them all over the place.  Heck, I even have a drop cord lamp that's 12 volt somewhere

Back
Top Bottom