Report on our Trip to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigLarry

I thought I'd drop a note about the trip we just finished.  We left home on May 17th, and returned on September 10th.  I'd have liked to spend another month in the west when the Fall colors were nice, but Betty wanted to go to work on her flower beds and she wasn't going to let a little September heat in TX stop her.

We drove a total of 18,627 miles, of which about 12,400 was towing the trailer.  We burned a total of 1558 gallons of Diesel, for an average of 11.95mpg.  The average cost of fuel was $3.267 per gallon.  The most we paid was $1.10 per liter in the Yukon, which figures about $4.16 per gallon.  The 100 gallons of diesel we can carry really helped us from filling up in the middle of nowhere where the cost is much higher. 

We traveled most of the highways in Alaska including the Dalton Hwy (without the trailer) to Deadhorse.  We drove on lots of gravel roads, but the only long one where we pulled the trailer was the Top of the World Hwy from Dawson Creek YT, to Chicken AK, with a side trip to Eagle.
We traveled the Alaska Hwy on the way up and came back on the Cassiar, which was closed a good part of the time due to fires.

We had one flat on the trailer and none on the truck.  It went down over night, so there was no damage to the tire and it was able to be fixed.  I had put a new set of 10 ply Hercules tires on the trailer before we left and they held up very well.  The converter on the trailer stopped charging the battery in the YT on the way back, so we charged the battery manually when we were stopped for more than two nights for the rest of the trip.

We couldn't have been happier with how the whole rig performed.  Good trip, but we're glad to be home.

It sounds like a good time was had by all.  Was thinking about you the other day wondering where you were.

Larry,

What do you consider to be the best tips you got prior to making the Alaska trip?  Your schedule looks much like the one when we did the trip in 2006.

Betty

Betty,

I suspect that the Milepost was the single most helpful tip we had prior to making the trip.  We also used lots of the Toursaver coupons, which saved some money.  Both of those items we first heard about from following your log back in 2006.  

We had been to Alaska on cruises twice before, one of which had a week long land tour that went with it.  I think our tour, which was in 2005 gave us ideas on where we wanted to spend the most time.  We learned enough to realize that there was lots more to see than we could ever see in short trips, and a summer long trip would be required to get a good start.

We have decided that we want to spend more time up there in the future, but want to go places that probably won't include an RV.  I feel like we've seen pretty much everything we can see by road.  We hope to fly up and make some one or two week trips to see more of it in the future. 

We do want to thank you for the efforts in logging your trips.  Those logs can really make a difference to folks who want to be informed.  They're also very good entertainment!!!!!

Larry:

Sounds like a great summer. It reminds me how badly I want to go back. Maybe 2012. ::)

Larry ,
I'm happy that my Journal and tips were helpful to you. I wrote it to remind me of all the places I may like to return one day.  The size of Alaska is boggling and I'm sure I could  enjoy many  trips there and see something different each time. Thanks for sharing with us.

I'm impressed wth your fuel milage.

Betty 

Hi Larry --

Sounds like a great trip.  Glad Betty and you could take and enjoy it.

Guess retirement is working out OK, right?

Glad you are home safely!

Don

Retirement Goooooooood!!!!!!!!!  So far we've really enjoyed it.  Betty is ready to stay home for a while, so I'm helping a couple days a week down at the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston.  I enjoy listening to those old round engines run.  We're giving rides in our B-17, B-25, SNJ, and PT-17.  We've got a two seater P-51 scheduled to be online in a couple weeks.

The Lone Star Flight Museum is now on the "must do next time" list!, probably next Spring.  Hope to see you there!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom