Wall Framing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Water Dog

We have recently purchased a 1994 Fleetwood Flair MH that we would like to redecorate and add some things to. I am curious about how the exterior walls might be framed (horizontal or vertical) and with what. I have never owned a motorhome and would hate to try attaching something to the inside of exterior walls without knowing if I'm dealing with wood, metal, or if I might hit plumbing or electrical lines. Anyone have info that would help?

Most class A motorhomes will have a cage construction. See the attached pic of our prior Pace Arrow motorhome. Our current Monaco coach has a similar cage.

I wouldn't expect much plumbing in the walls, but electrical is a concern. I'd have one eye on lights and receptacles if I was drilling a hole in the wall.

Attachments

• PaceArrow_cage2.jpg
    PaceArrow_cage2.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 56
There is a fair chance that a 94 Flair has a vertical framing made of wood rather than steel, but it will still be cage-like. If it is metal-sided, it is almost surely wood. If the sidewalls are fiberglass laminate of some sort, it could be wood or metal in that era a and price class.

Plumbing in the walls will be very close to the floor, if any at all. There is at least one bundle of wires going up to the ceiling, somewhere in the walls. There will be power & control for the roof a/c, and 12v power for lighting.. Probably a tv antenna wire as well.

Thanks Gary, I would assume that the electrical would take the most direct route from the breaker panel (under the dinette seating) to the A/C, so it's probably on that side of the coach. One of the things I would like to do is put a small flat screen tv above the passenger window so it can be seen from the dinette on the other side of the coach. (My wife says if it falls on her head, there will be a serious price to pay... :p) I would like to get rid of the existing 13" tv in the center and use that compartment for storage. Since this is only a 26' MH, storage is at a premium.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom