IRS forcing minimum wage and site income tax charges for workampers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't be real worried. Nothing has changed as far as workamping tax regulations. The IRS may be enforcing the existing law more rigorously, though. Small businesses are coming under a lot more scrutiny as the new medical coverage rules go into effect, and that may highlight some places/people that were claiming tax exemptions they were not legally entitled to.

Pat said:
Interesting issue on the healthcare. 

On the issue of requiring a workamper to be onsite, I don't think official work hours for a workamper relate to how much they're really on call.  This is a people service business.  I wouldn't dream of turning off the phone extension in my RV at night.  I've dealt with several emergencies during non-business hours.  At least one required the maintenance workamper's immediate assistance.

--pat

Understand the Republicans have a bill up for a vote that will completely reverse everything Obama put in the Healthcare.  Guess we'll have to wait and see how that goes after the first of the year.  Hopefully it will ease any problems workcampers may have in the future, and I don't workcamp but appreciate all the work they do in the campgrounds we have stayed in.

Allen

This is why we do not need Big Government. The RV industry has made the government big  money for them to waste! You work all of your life and retire. The government taxes you for being retired and  work camping. When you die they tax what you leave for your kids. What next? 

skirk55 said:
This is why we do not need Big Government. The RV industry has made the government big  money for them to waste! You work all of your life and retire. The government taxes you for being retired and  work camping. When you die they tax what you leave for your kids. What next?

If you die this year, there is no estate tax. Hopefully you'll last a lot longer. But if you are so concerned about paying taxes on work camper taxable income, it is highly unlikely you'll leave a $5 million (IIRC) estate, which is where the estate tax kicks in. But what's the difference between being a truck driver, nurse, teacher or anyone else paying income on earnings and paying taxes on taxable income when work camping.

Taxes, taxes, taxes.  I think we ought to do away with all taxes except for maybe defense and, of course, social security and medicare and highways and schools and medicaid and FDIC and FFA and VA and FDA and EPA and Federal parks & forests and COE lakes & campgounds and ... Oh heck!  We'd better raise taxes if we're going to insist on these services.  Either that or be willing to live without them.

I know, I know.  Someone will always have some comment on any individual service they are willing to do without, but as a whole, are you really ready to do without Federal services?  Someone has to foot the bill and until a better way is established, I'll just try to keep up my end of the bargain and enjoy some of these services even if it might mean I would have to pay taxes on some previously overlooked taxable income source.

When my Grandmother left me property and investments in her will I did pay taxes on that. I can give my kids $20,000 each max and did not pay taxes on that money.  It went into a retirement account. When I found out I had cancer I changed things around for my wife so she would not have to go through that again. I wanted to make it easy for her. That was 6 years ago and I still am glad I did it. 

When your grandmother died, there was an estate tax in effect. The Bush tax cuts reduced the estate tax each year until this year when it is zero. Next year it was supposed to revert to the rates 8 years ago but the new tax law signed by Obama raised the minimum amount subject to taxation and kept the rate lower. Between you and your wife you can give each of your kids something over $20,000 every year and it will be free of tax. But if your retirement account is some form of an IRA, you could have a problem pulling money out of it tax free.

Those may have been state taxes that were paid rather than federal. Even if the estate tax break has not been extended, less than 2% of all estates (those over $1M) would have paid any federal estate tax.

BernieD said:
But what's the difference between being a truck driver, nurse, teacher or anyone else paying income on earnings and paying taxes on taxable income when work camping.

Well said.  As someone who relied on a paycheck from corporate America for 33 years, I'm not at all opposed to taking a closer look at how small businesses interpret the tax laws and determine how much tax they'll pay.  During the recent debate on extending the Bush tax cuts, a lot of noise was made about how hard it would hit small businesses.... making over a quarter million dollars in NET profit each year.  That's a pretty good net income from anything "small".

Rick

I have never made a check out or paid a bill. I do not know federal tax from state tax. I know my wife paid tax. I do not carry money, use a credit card or want money. I put money in the offering basket at church and that is it. The guys at work know this and sometimes kid me but they except it. If I need something to repair the house my wife will go to the store and pays for it. When I need fuel my wife will take care of that. I am not the person to talk about $$$ but I get upset with the way government wastes money. I worked for a local government and I saw what they wast money. I am not cheap I just hate to have money on me. My life is simple and I like it that way.

??? Now Maybe that is why most of the employment for work camper help wanted ads want us to work for site only and a few perks!!! I have seen hours for singles from 20 to 32 per week, couples as high as 30-40 hours. If this is a fact, maybe it is better for BIG BROTHER GOVERMIN  AGENTS TO STEP IN, Maybe places will have to start paying like every other employer does??? I believe things are in for a BIGGER CHANGE AS YEARS GO BY. Irover  :eek:

I'm amazed at the number of hours people are willing to work for just a site, but if they are willing, who am I to say it should not be allowed. If both parties agree to the terms, it's a fair labor contract.

Just turned 18 and never was more than 40 miles from home. My wife grew up with a trailer and she talked me into a pop up then went to Canada for out honeymoon. Due to a mishap with the two poles that supported the bed we had to get rid of it. We purchased our first trailer in 1975.This was it for me! We went from Pa to Calf and back at 20 years old.

I never had any reason to keep money on my and when we grew up where would I spend it. Everything was on the farm. Some things I can not change. Like the cell phone I hate that thing. All I do is look for it and make sure I answer it every day at 5:15PM when my Daughter call me. Who did I ever live? 

skirk55 said:
Due to a mishap with the two poles that supported the bed we had to get rid of it.

skirk55.... I've seen "mishaps" before and what happened to you and your DW in your pop up was MUCH more than a mishap!  8)

Sorry.... just couldn't help myself.

Rick

I will never ever own a pop up after that. I can not get over how much better they are now but that day keeps coming back every time I look at one.  :-[

8) Gary, I was replying to the reason for so many campgrounds wanting more hours and giving FHU's, site and some perks, is the reply to the Subject: IRS forcing minimum wage and site income tax charge for WKers. If the campground only rents the site to the  "Public" for say 350.00 and the perks are worth 150.00, then The IRS according to the OP would be based on min. wage and hours worked, not the value of site, FHU's, perks = $500.00, but $7.25 X 30 0r 40 hrs, which my personal reportable income would be.
        Not trying to start a conflict here!!! Just saying; for me, NO WAY as I can work for that minimum wage elsewhere and just pay for my Monthly stay at a campground of my own choice. There are so many variables to the reasons why we do things the way we do. Well!! Happy NEW YEARS and I will keep my comments to my self and voice my opinions on another forum.  Happy 2011!!!
:D ;) :)

Irover, I think you misinterpreted something.  It's all good here and I think we're all mostly saying the same thing.

Happy New Year...

Rick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom