Sad dog question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Howard Kelly

We will be travelling with an older dog and wondering what we would do if it passed while we were boondocking especially on BLM land. If in a city we could take him to a Vet but other wise would it be proper to bury him.
What would you do ??
Thanks Howard and Jo

Thats something others of us will have to look forward to.

I would probably find a secluded spot and have a decent burial. I think, as much as Jake likes to travel that he would want it to be that way. Hope we have a few more years though.

I sure wouldn't see anything wrong with burying the dog on BLM land if you are camping there and you find a off road site.

I suspect that different BLM areas have different rules about burying animals. I know there are lots of little burial sites around Quartzsite but that doesn't mean it's legal. If Gordon died suddenly while we were boondocking, we'd probably load him into the VW and drive to the nearest town with a vet so we could have him cremated. We'd have to dig a really big hole to bury him in the desert and I'd worry about wild critters getting into the grave :)

Wendy

Hi

ditto to Wendy...
In fact, we have the ashes of all out dogs in small urns (5 urns to date).
And with everyone one of those dogs, it was a trip to the vet for "the big needle".

We will soon full time - and they will be going into one larger urn - all ready to be coming with us!!

regards, peter

Wenday offers good advice, as usual.  We traveled for years with our yellow lab and always found a vet within traveling distance when needed for health issues.  When it was Dusty's final time, we were fortunate to be near Des Moines and the Vet a friend recommended couldn't have been kinder or more sensitive to our grief.  Whether it's legal to bury a pet on BLM land probably varies with the particular area.  Most boondocking areas would be near one town or another which would have a Vet practice. 

Marg

We have always had our 'fur friends' cremated.  If 1 of them passed while on the road, I'm with Wendy, we would find the nearest vet and have them cremated.  Always have told my guys whenever they've gone to the vet, 'Mommy will come and bring you home', whether it be in the back of the car alive and kicking or in a urn, I will always bring them home.
Ruth

Oh Ruth, you've made me cry - a good cry thinking of Sam and Rico. I think I'll go give Gordon an extra hug.

How's the Grand Circle tour going?

Wendy

We recently had our daughters wonderful dog cremated and it took about 2 weeks to get the remains. I don't think all Vets have the equipment for doing it and send them off for the procedure. I am pretty sure this is also true for humans also. Waiting for several weeks could cause a problem. The cost as I remember was about $200. Our little 14 year old dog has had about $6,000 in life saving vet bills over the years so the money really isn't the object. I think I would find a great spot in the woods and bury her very deep. I can't imagine a ranger having a big problem with that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom