Your opinion: 97 Coachman Santara 350 FL RD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yak1961

Looking at a 35' with Cummins 330 and an Allison trans, on a spartan chassisand 7K gas Onan.  The coach has about a 100k on it.  Needs some cosmetic and interior work but seems solid.  This would be our first MH.  Should I be concerned about the mileage or other issues with this coach?  I am very mechanical as to maintenance and light repairs.  Planning to have a truck mech check it out also.  Also having trouble finding a value on NADA for a diesel pusher.  Coach has not been used much in the last couple years, seller asking 18k.  I figure tires and all fluids to start.  Just wanted to hear some other opinions.
Thanks Mike

We have some Coachman motorhome owners here who are quite happy and they will probably respond.  The LP generator is a negative, though,  because they really gulp the propane. You will use a lot of LP if you have the genny on while traveling (common) or if you boondock in hot weather.

The chassis & engine should be solid at 100k miles, but things like alternators and radiators wear out on a diesel just like they do on a gas vehicle. Maintenance is the key to longevity on an older coach, but it's hard to guess unless it comes with maintenance records.  You should set aside $2000 to bring all the maintenance up to date unless you have records showing what is already current. Change all fluids and filters on the engine and tranny, cooling and hydraulic systems, and maybe replace belts and hoses too.  Check the tire dates too - a 13 year old coach is probably due for tire replacement again. Any tire approaching 7 years of age ought to be replaced, regardless of condition.

Here is the NADA listing for a 1997 Santara M350 Spartan. $18,740 is average retail.

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-25-38-5697-0-0-0&l=1&w=25&p=38&f=5698&m=0069&d=2200004894&y=1997&ml=C&z=34488&gc=RV&gtc=MH

Sounds like a reasonable asking price for once, although in this market you really shouldn't pay more than Low Retail (from a private party especially) unless the vehicle is maintained in an outstanding way or exactly what you want, i.e. you're willing to pay more.  A dealer would take the RV in and do all the basic maintenance like tires, fluids, etc. and then charge more accordingly.  If you have all those expenses to incur yourself right after buying, an $18k purchase could turn into an overpriced $22k coach pretty quickly just to get it roadworthy.  There will always be extra costs associated with a used RV, you just don't want to be the one to drop big dollars on all the major stuff if you can avoid it.  I bought my gas MH in 2007 with 78k miles on it, but it already had newer tires, tune-up, and a tranny rebuild.  Don't be afraid to keep looking around, as the RV market is flooded with used units.  Just gotta find the right one for you.  ;)

I'm one of the Coachmen owners that Gary was referring to, when he said that we are around the forum.  We've had our 2000 34 foot Catelina for about 6 years, and are still happy with it.  We have had a number of issues over the years, some expensive, but they were with parts or systems common to many, more expensive units.  What sold us on ours was the floor plan, and in the time since, we have seen very few other coaches that we like better.
    For the first 3 1/2 years we owned the unit, we drove it to Florida, parked it on grass in the fall, and returned to NS in the spring where it sat on grass until fall.  In my opinion, mostly as a result of the humidity and salt air t6hings like the alternator and starter wore out sooner than they should have.  This year, we had to replace the radiator and CAC, again mainly due to long period of sitting without clearing the fins on both.
    However, on things that you might expect problem on an entry level machine, we didn't/don't seem to be having difficulties.  Sure, cabinets rarely need to be re-glued and clamped.  The fit and trim continue to hold up, everything on the coach still works, and we put about 10,000 miles on it last winter, averaging almost 12 MPG.
    As Scott  is saying, I's look to buy at the low market price, sice you will be spending on tires, etc.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
What sold us on ours was the floor plan, and in the time since, we have seen very few other coaches that we like better.

Ed, that's about how I feel with our Thor Residency... very unique floor plan compared to other rigs of the same vintage.  We're perfectly happy with ours for now, but someday will probably upgrade/update and I'm always interested in used rigs that I might find when the time comes.  Do you have a diagram of your floorplan?  I'm curious about what Coachman offered that drew you to your make/model.

Sorry Scott, no diagram.  Briefly, it has a 30 inch slide, that runs 16 feet.  It has a hide-a- bed on the slide side, and a flip bed behind the co-pilot, so we both get to lie down to watch the TV.  The kitchen is to the left of the mid-coach door, and the convertable table is across from the kitchen.  It has a private bath, and a queen short private bedroom. 
    We have upwards of 6 months in the coach, with plenty of room for Donna and I.  Plus there is lots of sleeping space for when one of our kids show up with the grandkids, which usually happens somewhere along our travels.
    We bought it used, and we have used it fairly heavily since.  DW, has a bit of a neatness fetish, so she keeps me in line.  In any event, the carpet, and cusion floor look new.  Minor sewing repairs have been necessary to seams on the upholstery cushions, and they too look like new.

Ed

Guys thank you for the insight on several things and your suggestions are appreciated.  I will update after we check a few more coaches and have this MH mechanically checked out.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom