Grease the slide out ?? Slide out questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acesneights1

Got a 2008 R-Vision TT with a bump out and it seems to be struggling a little when it goes to slide out from all the way in. Also It kinda sags a bit when going in or out until it's all the way in or out then straightens out. Should I smear grease on the track gear rails ? This one has rails with teeth not cable operated.

My slide operates the same way with the last 6" an opportunity for it to level out.  Both sides do that so I assume it is correct and the floor gets flat, etc.  As far as lubricating the mechanism, my owner's manual makes a big point out of not putting anything on.  They give as a reason that any lubrication attracts debris and will make it wear faster.  I've seen, and used, special slide lube that claims it does not attract dust and dirt and have not noticed any change in the operation.  If you use anything, I would not use "grease" as it would clearly attract gunk and since the slide mechanism is low and just above the ground, there is plenty for it to gather from.

They do say not to lube them, but I called Lippert and was told I could use a dry lubricant on those gears . I had a can of some teflon type dry lube I used. If you go to the Lippert web site and search their service bulletins they have a procedure for cleaning and lubing the gear packs on each side. I then got a small wire brush and cleaned out the teeth on the gears & rail. After spraying the lube on it actually sounded better than new.
Also while under there I cleaned & painted the tubes with the gear. On each side of the part where the tube slides is a plastic button to guide it in. Make sure the tube is clean & smooth where that rides.

Sounds like you have improved the operation without running the risk of making it worse.  The stuff I used was also called "dry lube".  I would imagine that you need to maintain that on a regular basis to make sure that junk does not get into your gears and wear them.

Thanks. I am going to try moving the camper tomorrow to the driveway. The place it is parked looks pretty level to me but I was thinking maybe the fact that I don't have the jacks down maybe the camper is twisted enough to cause a slight bind.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom