Summer 2010 - The 12 of us Booked 13,000 Miles!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruth Summers

Hello Again to All Who May Remember Me,  WE DID IT! I cannot express in this space what an incredible journey we've had!  We left New Hampshire on July 6th, hauling a 2005 Trail-Cruiser 25SB with a 1997 Chevy Express 15 passenger van and 12 passengers.  The last time I posted, from Ohio in early July, we were devastated to learn that we were towing at capacity with no space for forgiveness, and everyone advised, "Go Back Home."  :-\
So we ditched a huge amount of our cargo, and forged onward, graduating from mere low grades on the East Coast, soaring through the Midwest, and climbing the Great Rockies among others in the West.  In short, we traveled far and wide, adding 5,000 miles' worth of detours to our planned 8,800 mile route -  absorbing anything and everything we could about the vast geography and history of the our awesome U.S.A.  Wanting to go the farthest distance possible southwest from N.H, we aimed for Border Field State Park, south of San Diego.  It was a huge thrill to "see" Mexico!  We experienced the full spectrum of traveler's woes and awes, from breaking down in Las Vegas and spending $876.00 on a new fuel pump module assembly there, to watching the sun set on the Pacific Ocean and rise over the Grand Canyon...this list is far from complete! We met lots of people who were like angels and only a few that seemed to have escaped from hell.  ;) 
In the Dayton, Ohio area on our return trip home, we paused for a BBQ invite.  The trailer unhitched, the kids romping on a large farm, and my hubby helping the owner outfit his trailer for livestock, I decided to go pick up some groceries.  I wasn't 15 minutes from the farm when I had an unfortunate auto accident - totalling our family van beyond any dream of repair and breaking my back in two places!  :'(  Witnesses called 911, I was transported to Miami Valley Hospital and later released.  THE GOOD NEWS is that it could have been so much worse; Thank God I was alone, and the baby in my belly was completely unharmed!  Many good people of Waynesville, Ohio came in droves to assist our family - we had food, laundry and lodging for nearly a week while I stabilized.  One family hauled our travel trailer to their large, new barn and put it in storage so we could make the return trip to N.H. without worrying about the trailer.  (Geico wouldn't let us haul a trailer with their rental van)
As of today - October 6, 2010, we are all doing just fine, really!  We still don't have a family van because the reimbursement amount isn't enough to get one that's not in disrepair, and we're broke. (who isn't?)  More good people have retrieved our trailer from the barn, and towed it to Erie, PA.  A family friend took over the towing there, and hauled the unit to upstate New York.  In a week or so, he'll be bringing our trailer and all our "abandoned" stuff to our home.  Several folks have commented, "I had a feeling something bad was going to happen."  I only see LIFE happening; the breakdowns, the broken bones, the totalled van are all a part of living - it could've happened anywhere at anytime... We're gearing up for the oncoming winter, finishing projects outdoors first, and preparing for the birth of the new baby.  We are decidedly a traveling family - we all loved our vacation, and I would absolutely do it all over again. 

What an adventure!  I have to admire your good spirits in the face of what would make others give up.  Congratulations and I'm sure your future trips will not be as bad.

Wow, what a trip ! Glad you're all ok and hope you can get back on the road again some day. Bet there were a lot of places you saw that you want to return to and a lot of places you missed.

Take care
Wendy

You have created memories that will last for a very long time.  That is the kind of trip every family thinks about but seldom has the fortitude to do.  You are truly RVers!

Back
Top Bottom