Leaking skylight, damage, how to fix.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acesneights1

I'll take pics  tomorrow.  The skylight is  leaking in the bathroom in the shower area.The skylight looks like a cheap piece of garbage to me and I want it gone since all they do it leak. The ceiling at this point appears to be ruined in the shower area. My question is how can you section or patch a rubber roof ? I want to remove the skylight. I will frame out the opening and put plywood where the hole was but I need to put membrane over the repair so how can that be done ? Should I lay a piece over the existing roof ? Try to tuck a piece under the existing roof ? It seems to me the way to fix it would be to get a piece of membrane the same size as the hole and lay that on the plywood first then lay another piece of membrane over the patch but 6 inches min bigger all around and then ...glue ??? Seal ?? it to the existing roof ?
How does one patch a rubber roof ? Can small pieces of membrane be bought ?
Then on the inside , since it's in the shower, I'll just cut a piece of that white plastic wall stuff they use in restrooms and make a new ceiling the size of the shower so it looks factory as the ceiling damage does not extend past the shower area.
Opinions ?

Sorry to see no one has answered, it looks like you have it well in hand, I googled EPDM roofing sealant and got a dozen hits, many sealants available in tubes for EPDM rooves.>>>Dan

I feel your pain, mine started leaking, seem that the cracks start at the corner, I put the self leveling lap sealent on the cracked corners, that lasted 1 year, I had a post on what to do. I was thinking of fiberglassing mine to seal, then thought I would try some duct tape the white color, if all fails I will just buy another one and pay the installation cost.
Some one suggested Eco bond tape but it runs around 84.00 at camping world.

I recently replaced the skylight/escape hatch after trying to reseal the old one without success. Removing the old one was the hardest part of the job, I dug away as much sealer as possible, removed the screws, then broke out the chintzy plastic frame piece by piece. After scraping the remainder of the sealer I laid putty tape on the lip and dropped the new one in. Screwed 'er down,ran a bead of ProTec around the edge and over the screws and VOILA. Rained hard that night and everything was dry inside the next day. AHHH success is sweet.

I would cover the patch with a piece of EPDM to butt up with the existing EPDM then put a strip of Eternabond tape over the joint.

Back
Top Bottom