Why would a multiswitch cause me to lose my local channels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brujomar

SouthWest US or MX beach condo when not rv'in
I had posted question a while ago about splitting my direct tv outputs for two dvr's....My weingard carry out satellite dish has two outputs. I have two dvr's, so I 'need' 4 cable inputs...2 for each dvr.

Was told to use a multiswitch. Bought a 3 x 4 (2 sat. cables in, one reg. cable- in and 4 outs)..I don't use the 'cable' in.

So, here's my dilemna:  going the two cables directly in to either sat. receiver all works fine.  When using the multiswitch, the two ins to four outs, all sat. channels come in like before EXCEPT I lose my local, spot beamed channels (Las Vegas area)...Which DirectTV told me is spot beamed here on sat. 119. I am getting a strong signal on the carry out dish from 101, 110, and 119.

Since I am parked at home base for a while, I took the cables and ran them to my oval, 3 sat. dish that is mounted on my house,. This dish has 4 output cables on it and when I went directly into the dvr's, without the multiswitch, all channels including locals worked, on both dvr's.  Adding the multiswitch again, now 2 in and 4 out,  I lose locals again. Why is that?

Because the locals are broadcast in the Ka band on the 119 satellite and the multiswitch apparently won't switch those frequencies.  You need a multiswitch something like this one to handle both the Ku and Ka band frequencies.  This table will show you compatible multiswitches for each of the DirecTV antennas in use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom