New camera buying help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alicefred

Sorry if this has already been asked, however I want your current opinion since things change over time. I have a Canon PowerShot digital camera and it's working perfectly fine, but now I am planning for an upgrade. I am looking for a decent camera with SLR speed and quality. I will use it for general purpose photography and my budget is under $500. I don't want anything big in size, I would prefer a small camera with fully packed features.

Any recommendations.

There are not a lot of DSLRs under $500. Right now I would recommend the Sony A500. It is discontinued and the price has been slashed to $399. It is an amazing camera and will do everything you could ask for unless you are looking for a DSLR that also shoots video. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSLRA500-12-3MP-Digital-Camera/dp/B002MPPRM2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1286625495&sr=1-3

The huge advantage of the Sony system is that the Image Stabilization is built into the body, rather than built into the lens as Canon and Nikon do. This means you only buy IS once, not every time you buy a lens. The A500 has 8 users reviews on Amazon and 6 of them are 5 star, the other two are four star. I doubt you would be disappointed.

I use to take a lot of pictures and was into buying camera. I ran across a power shot that was free and I got to say it's about the best point and shoot I've ever owned. It is very limited as far as no changing lens and stuff like that but as far as their it is grab a picture before it's gone. you cant beat it

The December issue of Consumer Reports will have the newest ratings of Compact Cameras if you can wait a month (just got the November issue).  :)  I bought the Nikon Compact camera last year, and it takes lousy pictures, and then noticed that Consumer Reports called the pictures from the camera "washed out"....I wish I would have put more into it like you are doing.

We too are looking for a good "point and shoot" camera costing > $350 with a fairly good zoom.  :)

The OP stated he is looking for SLR speed and quality. That is not possible with any point and shoot. If you want SLR speed and quality you must buy an SLR.

The true digital SLRs offer interchangeable lens and generally top quality components, but there are excellent quality & speed non-SLR cameras  "SLR" that will do an outstanding job of "general photography". Some of the better models of Sony, Panasonic Lumix and Canon are outstanding and sell for around $400 online.  Examples include the Sony DSC-HX1 and Panasonic Lumix FZ35.  Much depends on whether the OP wants the flexibility of interchangeable lens.

One excellent source of reviews here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/

BernieD said:
Tom

That is body only, lenses are additional and the buyer will need at least one :'(
This is true. The 18-55 Sony kit lens costs $130 new. Or he can get an 18-250 or a 70-300 fairly reasonably. Or he can get a Sony a230 or a Sony a330 with the kit lens for under $500 total. I recommended the A500 since it is the best one of the bunch. I have the a330 and it is fantastic.

alicefred,

Here's an alternate idea for you.  The Panasonic DMC-FZ35 is, as I call it, an "almost" DSLR type of camera.  You get a fixed lens (27mm wide angle to 486mm telephoto) but you cannot change the lens.  BTW, it only weighs 16 ounces.  They sell for about $350 so check the internet.  Here are two very detailed reviews if you're interested.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09072704panafz38.asp

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/panasonic/lumix-dmc-fz35/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz35-review.html

I have an FZ35 and the thing I dislike is the electronic telephotoing switch.  This is because on my Panasonic FZ30 you zoom by turning the lens barrel just like you do on a "real" DSLR camera.

JerryF

alicefred

I too have been shopping for a `decent camera with SLR speed and quality'. Unfortunately, as Tom says,  you need an SLR for that kind of `speed and quality'. I have been reading every review I could lay my eyes on for the last three months, and some of these `point and shoot' cameras are getting much better. The Lumix FZ35 that Gary mentioned is just such a camera. I bought one on Wednesday night ($270)and although I only have the reviews to go by, I feel that this is a camera i can be comfortable with. I have carried bags of SLR's,lenses,filters, and such stuff for 30 years and am ready to downsize. I now think I have something capable of taking good quick shots with a mimimum of effort and with some patience may be even be able to get some decent photos. The 18X optical zoom and Leica 27mm equivalent to wide angle are by no means as good as what you can get with with interchangeable lenses, but the tradeoffs are something some amateurs are willing to live with. IMHO.
Dave

I am very happy with my Nikon D3000. Ritz had a two lens package deal for $700 this Spring. My out the door was closer to $800, but I got the biggest memory card/chip(?) too.
Nice and light fairly compact with the shorter lens 18 to 50. The 55 to 200 is longer in both tele and normal, obviously. They take the same size filters, too.
SeYa Mike

I had a chance to play with one of the new Canon PowerShot SX30 IS cameras this week. This camera is truly amazing and meets all of your requirements, including price. The resolution of the photos at high ISO and 30x zoom is near the same quality range as a much higher priced SLR. It is lite weight--just over a pound--and truly compact. I am seriously thinking of getting one as a camera to carry when my SLRs and lenes are just to much of a pain to lug around.

See:  http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/powershot-sx30-is/canon-powershot-sx30-is-review.html

I note that there are some good prices for it as well.

>>I am seriously thinking of getting one as a camera to carry when my SLRs and lenes are just to much of a pain to lug around.<<

I never thought I'd hear this from a die hard Nikon guy!!!! :D :D :D My Canon SD120IS is an incredible little camera. Sometimes Pat gets shots as good as I do with my 40D! It also takes very good videos. Doesn't have the speed of a DSLR and the zoom is limited but it sure works great when you need a pocket camera.

Chet18013 said:
I had a chance to play with one of the new Canon PowerShot SX30 IS cameras this week. This camera is truly amazing and meets all of your requirements, including price. The resolution of the photos at high ISO and 30x zoom is near the same quality range as a much higher priced SLR. It is lite weight--just over a pound--and truly compact. I am seriously thinking of getting one as a camera to carry when my SLRs and lenes are just to much of a pain to lug around.

See:  http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/powershot-sx30-is/canon-powershot-sx30-is-review.html

I note that there are some good prices for it as well.
The SX30 is a wonderful camera but should never be mentioned in the same sentence with DSLRs. There are a lot of reasons why people pay 2 to 20 times as much as an SX30 to own a DSLR.

Hey folks, which sensor will give you the best quality photos, CCD or CMOS?

JerryF

Jerry,

That's another discussion like Nikon vs. Canon. ;D CMOS must be pretty good since Nikon now has gone that route.

JerArdra said:
Hey folks, which sensor will give you the best quality photos, CCD or CMOS?

Our son, who is a senior chip researcher/designer at KODAK says "Always, the CCD is a better choice than a CMOS chip. CMOS chips, by nature of the the way they are made, have much more noise and require much more complicated post processing for noise and sharpening. The reason camera makers now push CMOS is they are much cheaper to produce. "

Jim Dick said:
I never thought I'd hear this from a die hard Nikon guy!!!! :D :D :D My Canon SD120IS is an incredible little camera. Sometimes Pat gets shots as good as I do with my 40D! It also takes very good videos. Doesn't have the speed of a DSLR and the zoom is limited but it sure works great when you need a pocket camera.

The one thing that is keeping me from getting it is the fact that it does not shoot RAW. As far as I can determine from the published specs it only has jpeg output.

Chet18013 said:
The one thing that is keeping me from getting it is the fact that it does not shoot RAW. As far as I can determine from the published specs it only has jpeg output.

There was a time that I would have agreed with you.  I used to shoot nothing but raw.  I was under the impression that if I didn't shoot raw I could not correct important things like white balance and exposure.  Now the only time I shoot raw is if I think I am going to want a very large print.  I have found that it is far easier to take the photo correctly than it is to try and fix it in post processing.  Additionally, processing in Nikon's "Capture" and then going to CS became more work than I care to do.  Additionally, the cost of keeping current in another application isn't worth it, to me.  Now, it is most unusual that I need to do much tweaking and when I do it can be done in CS alone.  Additionally, the files are much smaller.

My advice, don't let the ability to shoot raw enter into your decision.

Even my 5 year old Sony H1 does RAW - I thought most of the top end models did. Surprised the SX30IS does not, but perhaps that's another feature that distinguishes the near-professional grade cameras from pure "point & shoot".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom