1st time snowbird questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackT

This winter will be our first opportunity to live in our MH for months at a time.  We will be parked in Bradenton, FL for December and January and then move down to Sarasota for February and March.  That is, the coach will be parked for two months at a time.  We will be living in it so the shore power will be on and converter keeping the batteries charged but I have two questions about the engine and fuel.  By the way, we have a class A gas MH on a Ford Chassis.  Here are the questions:  (1) should I start the engine occasionally to let it warm up or just leave it alone for the two month periods when it is not moving? and (2) should I fill the gas tank before I begin the winter (with some fuel stabilizer added) or let the coach sit with a quarter or third tank of fuel and then fill it with fresh fuel before the drive north next spring?  When we owned our sailboat, we were told to fill the tank before winter to reduce the opportunity for condensation to build up.  What do you think?
-- Jack

It is generally recommended that the generator be exercised monthly or by monthly.  I generally start the MH engine when I exercise the generator.  Fuel; It is always a good idea to keep the tank full to prevent condensation build up.  Personally, I don't use the fuel stabilizer. 

The rule of thumb is to start gas and not to start diesels unless you are going to run them, that applies to motors or generators.  Accordingly, we don't run the motorhome, but do run the generator at least monthly, and I put stabilizer into the gene gas.

Ed

we were told to fill the tank before winter to reduce the opportunity for condensation to build up.  What do you think?

In a gas engine, fuel stabilizer will prevent the gas from gumming up in the injection pump,  or in the carburetter, so it's always a good idea to add the appropriate amount to the tank before filling the tank prior to parking for an extended period of time.  By adding it before, the rush of the newly pumped gas will mix with the gas in the tank, and the vehicle should be driven a short distance for the treated gas to enter the fuel line.  If the generator is gas, it should be run before parking to allow the treated gas to enter the genset fuel lines.

Fuel stabilizer will not deal with condensation, but alcohol will.  Get some gas line de-icer and add it to your tank before parking to clear any existing water, then keep the gas tank full as you alluded to as a preventative while parked.

If I were parking for a coupe of months, I would take the coach out for a ride on the road so all lubricants can be allowed to flow through their respective components, and I would make a point of running the dash air conditioning during that time soa ll seals can be lubricated.

As has been mentioned, the generator should be exercised every at least once a month with at least a 50% load applied to prevent corrosion forming on the commutator.

We don't run the engine if it sits for a couple months, but we do keep the tank as full as possible and may use a dryer or anti-microbe (for diesel) if conditions warrant it.

If you do start it, run it until it is warm and fluids circulating freely.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    The rule of thumb is to start gas and not to start diesels unless you are going to run them, that applies to motors or generators. 
Why is that a rule of thumb for diesels?

Tony, as I said "unless you are going to run it", or as Gary said, run it until all the fluids are warm and running throughout.  That means taking it out for a run to get it full warm, and the lubricants do their job, an idling diesel won't fully warm.

Ed

I was wondering about the statement to exercise the generator once a month.  If you are down south and parked in a campground for a few months, how does one do that?  All the parks I have seen have a rule about running the generator and packing up and taking the rig for a spin is a royal pain in the butt!!

If it's a diesel generator I wouldn't worry about it sitting for a couple of months.  Ours has sat unused for 3 or 4 months at a time for years and it always starts right up when we need it.  A gas generator is more likely to have problems if not run occasionally.

ruthandken CDN said:
about running the generator and packing up and taking the rig for a spin is a royal pain in the butt!!

Make the run occasionally anyway... good exercise in preparing for an emergency departure, should the need arise sometime.

Just unplug, leave everything outside; maybe ask your neighbor to keep an eye on the place while your are gone for 1/2 to 1 hour.. You may even find that your RV needs a major overhaul during that little run.  ;D

Carson FL

Ruth, we have never had a problem or complaint over running the gene once in a while.  Do it mid day, disconnect the AC power, start the gene, the turn on the Air Conditioner, let it run for a while.

Ed

ruthandken CDN said:
All the parks I have seen have a rule about running the generator and packing up and taking the rig for a spin is a royal pain in the butt!!

Who is paying the cost of owning the RV - you or the campground?  Enuff said!

I believe most cg's will allow you to run a gen once a month during mid-day for maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom