Easiest Cell Phone to both understand and use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerArdra

This cell phone does not even require a users manual.

Attachments

• Cell Phone.jpg
    Cell Phone.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 125
That is about the worst Photoshop job I have ever seen. However it is very funny.

LOL Jerry. Reminds me of a reverse scenario; In the late 70's we made good money selling "loop disconnect dialer chips" to phone manufacturers; Folks throughout Europe wanted push-button phones, but many of the exchanges were still using the old electro-mechanical Strowger equipment, and it was going to take a few years to convert them. New phones were fitted with a touch pad, and the chip converted the 2-tone (DTMF) output to loop disconnect (aka pulse) used by rotary phones.

It wouldn't be a big stretch of the imagination to have a rotary dial on a digital phone.

Tom,

I really thought it was cute and, guess what, even without a Users Manual I was able to figure out how to use it. 

BTW, that is interesting about loop disconnect dialer chips.  I always like little tidbits from our technical past.

Thanks,
Jerry

Seilerbird,

Here's a really good Photoshop job courtesy of Richard Sharp.  This was a four wheel drive road from Moab to Pritchard Arch.  It is a moderately tough/rough 4-wheel drive road/trail.

I got a photo where there was some empty space between two of the cars in one of the few smooth sections of the road.  Then later in the Portal RV Park I took a photo of Peter Jasen sitting in his Gold Lexus convertible.  BTW, the Lexus could never drive the road to Pritchard Arch; it's to rough.  Then Richard inserted the Lexus between the other two cars.  Notice that he even put shadows into the picture.

Paul,

Naw....but BR5-49 sure makes me think of a very small switching system or a company's in-house telephone system.

JerryF

Attachments

• Pritchard Arch Rd.jpg
    Pritchard Arch Rd.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 77
Tom said:
... output to loop disconnect (aka pulse) used by rotary phones.

Loop disconnect? Hmmm, never heard that specific term -- in the Bell System they were Dial Pulse or Rotary Dial phones. Before Touch Tone (R) was everywhere, I recall lots of phones that would output dial pulses from a push button -- many were switchable to also output DTMF.

Larry,

Rotary dial phones worked by interrupting (disconnecting) the line (aka loop) for every 'click'. Thus the term loop disconnect. More info in this Wiki.

If you were good, you could dial the phone just using the hook switch.  No dial needed :)

Tom said:
Larry,

Rotary dial phones worked by interrupting (disconnecting) the line (aka loop) for every 'click'. Thus the term loop disconnect. More info in this Wiki.

Agreed, Tom. I'm not disputing the accuracy of the term -- it's just that I'd never heard that specific term when I worked for AT&T.

Ned, you're right, but the required timing isn't something I could ever get that way, any more than I could whistle 2600 cps.  :p

Larry, I could dial the operator but 7 digit numbers were a challenge :)

1004 hz is easier than 2600 but not as useful.

Might have been a term used only by phone/equipment manufacturers (?) All our OEM customers in Europe used the term, but I wasn't in the US at that time, and therefore had no direct contact with North American OEM customers.

It may have been a European thing.  We just called it pulse dialing on a loop start line.

Might have been, but I doubt it. The only time I heard the term in the UK or Europe was when we dealt with telephone OEMs and, of course, when we designed & built the chips. There was little commonality between the various European PTTs at that time, so I don't think they were working from a European standard. IIRC everyone had their own unique set of parameters.

Unfortunately, the Wiki doesn't cite sources, and the noted Fed Standard 1037C (Glossary of Telecommunications terms) was superseded in 2001 by an ANSI standard.

I meant the term, not the device.  I had a phone for a long time that looked like a princess phone, but actually put out pulse dialing using push buttons.  I think I picked it up at QZ at one of our rallies on the give away table :)

[quote author=Ned]I meant the term, not the device.[/quote]

Understood, and me too. Of course, terminology has always been different between the UK and the US, and used to be the source of much trans-Atlantic joshing with my US-based colleagues. OTOH the differences tended to be far fewer when it came to technical terms.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom